Mechanics opinion on a van

Hi every one

Im looking onto buy a used van as my licence limits me to 3.5 ton ive searched everywhere for a certain boxed sized van. Because im after a box size of minimum of 4 meters long and with a rear door width of 2.05 . It has made finding one even harder as that size is bording on 3.5ton plus size. Anyway ive found a perfect sized 3.5 box van . The question is should i leave it alone because it has had a full engine rebuild ( it has over 170000 miles on the clock but resent rebuild) or should i seek guarantees on the work done to it?

work done as follows

JUST HAD A FULL ENGINE REBUILD DUE TO CAMBELT FAILURE.

PARTS REPLACED HAVE BEEN -

CYLINDER HEAD

VALVES

HEAD GASKET

ALL HEAD BOLTS

CAM BELT AND ALL PULLYS

FAN BELT

FUEL PUMP

BIG END BEARINGS

its a vauxhall movano
just depends on history n how its bin driven its a gamble ul tek if u buy it good look

You'd be hard pressed to find a van under 3 or 4 years that hasnt got well over 100k. I think the AA offer a service where someone will come out and have a look at make sure there's nothing obviously wrong with it, but I don't know the cost.

Check when the cam belt was done, if that goes it curtains - hence the engine rebuild. Failing that, trust your gut. Who had it before ? Has it got a service history ? Does the rest of it look shabby ? I'm no mechanic though

And unless it's a low loader Luton, check your measurements. The load height in movanos might be 2.10m but the doors aren't ;). How desperate are you for a van ? I was looking last year and whole load of them turned up around April, probably big firms renewing then for tax purposes, or coming to the end of the lease.

Well im not in a rush to buy. I think my main problem is that there arnt many 3.5 ton lutons that are 14-15ft in length with a loading width of 2.10 meters. As the stardard seems to be 1.95m loading width

ime no mechanic but my way of thinking would be if the engine as done 170,000+ so has the van but like the poster above, all vans by there very nature have high milage

Well im not in a rush to buy. I think my main problem is that there arnt many 3.5 ton lutons that are 14-15ft in length with a loading width of 2.10 meters. As the stardard seems to be 1.95m loading width

If the work has been done properly than it should run sweet, plus like you say the size you require is hard to find.

If there are receipts for the parts and labour than it should be worth considering.

Does it have to be a van ? There's a massive box trailer on eBay at the moment. I cant stand trailers myself but it might work.

hi, My Dad owns a transport company, and he swears by the ford transit or ldv..

they both have the same engine in on the newer ones...

he as a ldv luton van with over 170,000 miles on and it still runs like new. Due to it being serviced every 8,000 miles.

He said he wouldnt have a vauxhall give him as is mate had one and it add 3 gearboxs in 2 years.

In is opinion he said, The best buy is a Transit for comfort.....