Hawksley Avenue, Hillsborough. 1960's

Did anyone live on this Road during this time or remember anyone who did and any details or stories from then? We lived at number 13.:)

I remember Roger Cade living on Hawksley Ave. in the 1950s/1960s, I think he lived on the side overlooking the park....

I was only a child but i seem to remember Warings, Kirk and Bower families and the garage and fencing place near the bottom, not the petrol station i think that was a big old house before. The Blue Ball had a bowling green and there was a church next to it i think and a small fruit shop. There was a chippy next to Regent Court and a corner shop opposite.

In case it's of interest to anyone, here is a scan from the 1968 Kelly's Directory.

The church next to the Blue Ball was the Methodist Church - it can be seen on the right of this photo.

The fencing place was Hattersley and Day,the house was called Eagle House where mr HAWKsley lived,Warings were in bussiness up to recently,and the Hillsboro fruit and packaging company which was known locally as the Jam Factory was where Jewell razor co was and is now a small housing estate,Jewell was taken over by Swann-Morton.

Fantastic info! Thanks ever so much and i recognise a lot of the names and much is news to me. I remember we used to take jam jars up to the shop near the top of the Avenue and we would get an ice cream in exchange, might have been the fruit company?. Also an alleyway near the Church past a bakery or granary that came out near the Hillsborough shops, always grain on the cobbles and tons of pigeons about...

Fantastic info! Thanks ever so much and i recognise a lot of the names and much is news to me. I remember we used to take jam jars up to the shop near the top of the Avenue and we would get an ice cream in exchange, might have been the fruit company?. Also an alleyway near the Church past a bakery or granary that came out near the Hillsborough shops, always grain on the cobbles and tons of pigeons about...
That would be the Don Bakery,where you took your jam jars would be Howards Dairy on Middlewood Rd,the jam factory was on the bottom,bradfield Rd end,Howards also made lemon curd called Edna May.

...I remember we used to take jam jars up to the shop near the top of the Avenue and we would get an ice cream in exchange...
As bullerboY wrote that was Howard's Dairy - a double-width shop that was noted for high-quality foods and delicious ice cream. They used to have a hatch through which ice cream was sold to people walking past on their way to and from the park etc. Dairies went out of fashion and for a time it was a car showroom "Europa Cars Ltd".
...Also an alleyway near the Church past a bakery or granary that came out near the Hillsborough shops, always grain on the cobbles and tons of pigeons about...
The alleyway was actually called "Bradfield Place" (though it never had a nameplate) and the part of it nearer to Middlewood Road is still there, complete with cobbles! The Don Bakery (at the end of Proctor Place) backed on to the alleyway; there was a hoist for loading flour and milk churns etc.

As bullerboY wrote that was Howard's Dairy - a double-width shop that was noted for high-quality foods and delicious ice cream. They used to have a hatch through which ice cream was sold to people walking past on their way to and from the park etc. Dairies went out of fashion and for a time it was a car showroom "Europa Cars Ltd".The alleyway was actually called "Bradfield Place" (though it never had a nameplate) and the part of it nearer to Middlewood Road is still there, complete with cobbles! The Don Bakery (at the end of Proctor Place) backed on to the alleyway; there was a hoist for loading flour and milk churns etc.
Hi Hillsboro,I used to work at Europa cars,Freddie Truman opened it around 1964 and we used to repair howards vans up at Waldot service station and NSU,VW,Wartburg,volvo and Reliants.

Howards-that was the name of the shop and i remember the ice sales hatch, i think the whole shop front was a yellow colour and i think my Mum used to rave about their lemon curd. I remember the generating station on the Bradfield Rd corner, there used to be a night watchman there with a coke brazier lit at night. I also recall the slipper baths at the Hilsborough Baths ,we would pay 3d for a bath as we only had a tin bath. I was last in with my two sisters using the water first! A woman in a white coat had a key fastened to her belt to turn the hot water on.

Hi Hillsboro,I used to work at Europa cars,Freddie Truman opened it around 1964 and we used to repair howards vans up at Waldot service station and NSU,VW,Wartburg,volvo and Reliants.
Yes - I well remember Europa people demonstrating NSU Prinz cars by driving them around Hillsborough. Also a bit later the Bond Bug. Waldot.... That's where my Reliant went. Bought it on a Monday and wrote it off on the Saturday...
... I also recall the slipper baths at the Hilsborough Baths ,we would pay 3d for a bath as we only had a tin bath. I was last in with my two sisters using the water first! A woman in a white coat had a key fastened to her belt to turn the hot water on.
Yep - we also went there regularly (well, at least twice a year...:P). They have been mentioned in some detail on the Upperthorpe Baths thread here.