An old Darwin razor, Sheffield made. Anyone remember the company?

:help:

I recently bought an old safety razor at a car boot sale, it was made by Darwin Ltd of Sheffield and made of patent cobalt steel, probably in the 1920s or 30s. Does anyone remember this company and can you tell me anything about them; do they still exist? I would post pictures but it seems I cannot, perhaps I am too new a member?

Treedoc, (John).

Hi

it seem's they have been dissolved, last listing their account's on 30/4/06.

Dean

Hi

it seem's they have been dissolved, last listing their account's on 30/4/06.

Dean

Thanks Dean,

Just missed them eh? Actually I found three different Darwin companies in an online trade directory dating back to the 1910s, could have been any of them but no further info forthcoming. What was the full name of your Darwins and are you sure you have the right one?

I see now that this forum doesn't allow direct posting of pics...my mistake.

John.

Hi Treedoc

not sure if i had the right Darwin's im afraid.

the one i mentioned was ;

Darwin's Engineering LTD, Fitzwilliam Work's, Tinsley.

there are lot's of antique razor's on e-bay, might be worth a look?

Dean

Hi Hillsbro

i can remember when i first started shaving, my dad had one of those razor's that you put razor blade's in via a screw thread. im sure they were all wilkinson sword blade's?

and compared to today's disposables, they felt a lot sharper!!

Dean

Hi Dean - my dad also used Wilkinson Sword blades in his screw-type safety razor, and I think the Wilkinson firm were one of the larger blade manufacturers worldwide, with Gillette probably the biggest. Obviously Wilkinson blades were better, being made in Sheffield! I do seem to remember Darwin's razors as well, and old razors are indeed "collectable" and can be found on eBay. With a mole on my chin (which was often decapitated) eventually I bought a Philishave - not quite as close but safer...

Hi Treedoc

not sure if i had the right Darwin's im afraid.

the one i mentioned was ;

Darwin's Engineering LTD, Fitzwilliam Work's, Tinsley.

there are lot's of antique razor's on e-bay, might be worth a look?

Dean

It's a fair enough guess, another possible for me to research, thanks.

As to ebay, I'm a regular looker but an infrequent buyer, I just can't stretch to the prices vintage razors fetch, the more sought after ones anyway. Darwins are very rare on the 'bay there was one last week, or at least it was billed as a possible. I don't think it was one though, but in a Darwin box. I would post a link to pics of my razor but I can't until I've posted five posts, an anti-spam precaution and very wise.

Treedoc.

:help:

I recently bought an old safety razor at a car boot sale, it was made by Darwin Ltd of Sheffield and made of patent cobalt steel, probably in the 1920s or 30s. Does anyone remember this company and can you tell me anything about them; do they still exist? I would post pictures but it seems I cannot, perhaps I am too new a member?

Treedoc, (John).

My father worked at a Darwins in Sheffield (thats where he met my mother) and I believe it became Balfour Darwins and he then worked at the bottom of Greenland Road for many decades on tungsten carbide tools.

My father worked at a Darwins in Sheffield (thats where he met my mother) and I believe it became Balfour Darwins and he then worked at the bottom of Greenland Road for many decades on tungsten carbide tools.

Thanks for that Biker; do you reckon it is the right Darwins? Did they have anything to do with cobalt steel back in the 1920s and 30s?

The different Darwins I have unearthed are: Darwin & Milner, Commercial St., Darwin & Co.,Iron and Brass founders & Engineers., William Darwin, Scissor manufacturer, Snow Lane., Darwin Fitzwilliams, Tinsley.

Your reference to tungsten carbide tools could be promising; I'm sure you will know that cobalt steel is used in high speed tools also.

Treedoc.

One more post and I can post a link to picture of my Darwin razor.

Treedoc.