Steel Peech and Tozer

Further to my post yesterday, I've been looking at the tram wheels again today and noted that the wording is as follows:-

STEEL PEECH & TOZER

SHEFFIELD

4 1931

I assume the "4" is the month of manufacture, but the interesting part is "Sheffield", the only SPT works I know of were in Rotherham, or was there a plant in Sheffield?

Nigel L

Further to my post yesterday, I've been looking at the tram wheels again today and noted that the wording is as follows:-

STEEL PEECH & TOZER

SHEFFIELD

4 1931

I assume the "4" is the month of manufacture, but the interesting part is "Sheffield", the only SPT works I know of were in Rotherham, or was there a plant in Sheffield?

Nigel L

Parts of Steelos was in Sheffield, but the main parts were in Rotherham. However Sheffield was world renowned for its steel, Rotherham not so much.

Parts of Steelos was in Sheffield, but the main parts were in Rotherham. However Sheffield was world renowned for its steel, Rotherham not so much.
The entire site consisted of foundries, mills, scrapyards, and workshops, and straddled the Sheffield-Rotherham Boundary at Templeborough.

At one time 10,000 were employed there.

Where were the foundries. I cannot recall any at either templeborough or ickles. I can only recall melting shop, cogging, strip and bar mills, machine shops and railway products

Where were the foundries. I cannot recall any at either templeborough or ickles. I can only recall melting shop, cogging, strip and bar mills, machine shops and railway products

You are correct.

Scratch foundries. I meant melting shops.

My grandfather worked at SPT. In 1936 he and a couple of colleagues were sacked for "union activity." I only recently learned about this so know very little about it.

He was then blacklisted with all the steelworks in Sheffield.

In 1939 he was welcomed back with open arms obviously due to the role played by them in the war effort.

I'm not sure if he went back to SPT or another company.