Heeley Memories

Hi Trastrick

I don't know if the Adam's girls were related to the family you mentioned. The Adam's girls I refer to were twins & also had a brother called Jimmy. They lived at the back of the Barber's shop on Heeley Green & Anne married another Heeley lad called Alan Ledger.We all went to Newfield Girl's school back in the early 60's.

Hi Trastrick

I don't know if the Adam's girls were related to the family you mentioned. The Adam's girls I refer to were twins & also had a brother called Jimmy. They lived at the back of the Barber's shop on Heeley Green & Anne married another Heeley lad called Alan Ledger.We all went to Newfield Girl's school back in the early 60's.

Thanks.

Sounds like we are a generation apart (I left school in 1954).

Hi Janet, left you a private message but I do remember the twins and vaguely remember Rita but I cant bring your name back from the memory banks, you will have to enlighten me. Look forward to hearing from you.

Is there anyone out there who attended Anns Road school between 1951 and 1955 and Carfield School between 1955 and 1959. I am visiting from Australia in July and would love to catch up with old school friends. Yes I have registered with "Friendsreunited" but only a couple of people I know have also registered. I was born and lived in Heeley until 1972.

my wife June Oldfield went to Carfield school 1957 to 1961 she remembers

Mr Cartwright, Mr Philips MrEdlington who was the headmaster , her best friend was Sandra Gregory who lived on Richards Road Heely they were both in the Netball and Rounders Teams they went everywhere together

Hi, I'm new to the Sheffield Forum and I've only just seen references to the Heeley Teenbar - I read a post from Scaleman (27-09-2012). I think I'm right in saying that my Mum & Dad (Mr and Mrs T. A. Shaw) opened Heeley Teenbar. They used to take me with them every Friday evening and pack me off to the cinema - which I guess must have been Heeley Palace - to get me out of the way. This must have been 1956 because I remember the big hit song at the time was 'See you later alligator, Bill Hayley and the Comets) - I was eleven years old. I have two abiding memories: I remember seeing 'Man from Laramie', James Stewart, and many other great films that have stayed with me all my life. The Teenbar attracted many of the local Teddyboys, who used occasionally to fight it out on the pavement outside the bar. My Dad's agreement with the local police was that if my he could somehow manage to get these guys into the Teenbar building, the police wouldn't make any arrests because the trouble was deemed to take place on private property. My Dad was largely successful and I'm sure he saved a lot of young men receiving criminal records early in their lives. The Teenbar was, after all, an early attempt to 'understand teenage' with all its attendant problems. Fond memories, and great music !

Does anyone remember St Barnabas Youthy?

Does anyone remember St Barnabas Youthy?

Sure do, from 1961 to approx 1965

Jean & Terry Funnell were there, 2 of the nicest folks you could ever wish to meet.

Sadly both no longer with us.

Hi Angela !

Thanks for your response to my notice. You are obviously much younger than I. My sister Rita and her friends Ann and Kathleen Adams went to Anns Road and Newfield Green Schools, maybe you know of them.

I am interested to know where you lived in Heeley and what your name was back then. We lived in the row of houses at the side of the Heeley Green Pictures, opposite the shops.

Bye for now. :D

Hi Bansia, I lived at the top of Kent Hill 1937-1958. I know your row of houses. I used to have a "crush" on a girl that lived in that row. Can't remember her name, but she had something wrong with her leg ?. did you know her ?.

Regards, Peter.

(My photo was taken in the RAF in 1959), but the girl affair must have been in the 1948-1951 era.

Peter, would it have been Rosalie Banner?

Sorry can't remember her name. All I can remember "I think" she could have had a deformed leg/ankle/hip. It is so long ago that details have gone from my tiny old mind. Thanks for coming back to me. I lived at 93, Kent Road and we used to play on the Doker with these girls.

I remember one of the girls that we were friends with was maybe an Italian girl, or something like that.

I also new a girl called Jean Dixon, she lived at 99 Kent Road, the end house before you got to Mr Jykles big house with the huge garden just over the top of the hill. He used to grow his own Tobacco, and add Rum to it in his Tobacco press, when he smoked his pipe on the bus from town to Heeley Green, you new he was on board because he stunk out the whole bus.

---------- Post added 19-10-2017 at 09:55 ----------

I was born in Heeley in 1966 (cambridge place) both my parents were born there as well - dad on kent road (tony gill

)mom on walden road- june marshall, my grandad was a coal merchant- edwin marshall. My parents both met at Tyzacks on Valley Road which strangely enough is where I bought my first house - right opposite!!! Apparently a few houses on Valley Road were fish and chip shops as well as houses and sold the food from the front windows!! I also remember the little terrace house on Heeley Green that was between 2 shops (one of which was the Herbalists where as a treat mom would take me for a drink (I think it was Vimto or Saspirella) out of the pump on the counter. And Tingles drapers - when I was little that place used to amaze me with all the wooden drawers. Does anyone remember Deans shop on Cambridge Road and Jims fish and chip shop????

Yes, I remember the Herbalists very well. Heeley Green picture palace, Wagon & Horses Pub etc. I lived at 93,Kent road (Top of Kent Hill opposite the Methodist Church in those days).

Edited by Peter Tottle

I went to Carfield Infants/Junior/Senior school. At one stage some of us were moved to the Annex on Gleadless road. Is there anyone still alive out there that remembers that, and did you know any of the pupils that attended the Annex?. I remember the small bottles of Milk we used to get every day. In each classroom we had a fire, in a "house type fireplace". We stud our milk bottles in an arch across the front of the fire, to warm them up ready for break time:hihi: