Crookes History

Hello,I've just joined. Lived Truswell Avenue 1950s. The lorry at the top was Mr Butterworth's,his daughter Enid was my friend. Had great fun hiding behind that lorry,especially when you were called to go to bed. I remember the Masons,McInallys,Olivers Martins lived at the bottom. There weren't many cars and we had lots of freedom to run around.At Lydgate Lane school I remember Carol Young,Carole Marsh,Lorraine Birkinhead from Cross Lane. Timothy Reed,David Jameson,Jane West,Anita Harris,Ernest Pike from Northumberland. Jill Hoyland,Katherine Ellis,and the first coloured child I'd met,Anthony Crane. It was very cold not like the schools now,and we walked everywhere,no one took us there and back in a car.

Hi knew John and May McInally they went to St Joes same time as I did. Also Anthony Crane, he had two brothers Vic and Brian. My mum was friends with their mum Jessiie and dad Paul

Hi knew John and May McInally they went to St Joes same time as I did. Also Anthony Crane, he had two brothers Vic and Brian. My mum was friends with their mum Jessiie and dad Paul

Thanks for reply,where did you live in Sheffield? Have just read 1959 Kelly's Directory Truswell Avenue,amazing

Thanks for reply,where did you live in Sheffield? Have just read 1959 Kelly's Directory Truswell Avenue,amazing

Hi lived on Tasker rd from around 1958 -1965 then School rd until 1970

Did you go go to Lydgate Lane School? I don't think I recall anyone from Tasker Road what was your name?

Did you go go to Lydgate Lane School? I don't think I recall anyone from Tasker Road what was your name?

Hi have sent you a p.m

Yes, 144th....and Jenks is a LEGEND.
Reviving this old thread just to mention that "Jenks" sadly passed away on 30 June. He was 88, bless him, and a real "character". See here for the obituary in The Star.

Reviving this old thread just to mention that "Jenks" sadly passed away on 30 June. He was 88, bless him, and a real "character". See here for the obituary in The Star.

Thank you for the notice hillsbro. Bless him indeed, always his own man and always to be remembered.

Hi to the Crookes people, I married a Girl from Crooks in 1958, her name was Pat Turner, she had a sister Jean, and a younger brother named Tony. She lived on a dead end road that backed onto the church (name ?).

The tram sheds were still open in those days, and I travelled on them many times. I worked as a TV Service Engineer at D.E.R. Ltd. on the top of Crookes, near to the Pub.

Does anyone remember those days of old?.

Edited by Peter Tottle

Hi to the Crookes people, I married a Girl from Crooks in 1958, her name was Pat Turner, she had a sister (name ?), and a younger brother named Tony. She lived on a dead end road that backed onto the church (name ?).

The tram sheds were still open in those days, and I travelled on them many times. I worked as a TV Service Engineer at D.E.R. Ltd. on the top of Crookes, near to the Pub.

Does anyone remember those days of old?.

Ever hear of a drummer called Norman Aistrop, 1958?

Ever hear of a drummer called Norman Aistrop, 1958?

Sorry, I cannot remember anyone of that name.

I was living on Bute Street in the 1960's and there was a gas explosion in a house on the corner of Bute Street and Elgin Street. it blew out most of the windows on Bute Street. Apparently, the lady of the house, left the gass ring on, whilst boiling an egg for breakfast!