Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Banter at work - views on it?

Home > General > General Discussions > I'm Bored!

Reply To Topic

11-10-2017, 09:33   #1
ohmyword

Total Posts: 1,211
An idiot at work recently got done off the manager because of the banter what he does. He sees himself as a bit of a comedy ‘un who loves to be the centaur of attention. What do you reckon to this? I hate that sort of thing to be honest. People should just talk normal to each other instead of deliberately saying upsetting things just to get a reaction. Already today I’ve heard these sorts of vile banter:

“Not surprised you got scrapes way you drive”
“Avin another breakfast yet?”
“Bleedin eck pal, thought you were dead!”
“Tell me why does the river not flow”

Other people must suffer this too?
11-10-2017, 10:14   #2
Andy1976

Total Posts: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmyword View Post
An idiot at work recently got done off the manager because of the banter what he does. He sees himself as a bit of a comedy ‘un who loves to be the centaur of attention. What do you reckon to this? I hate that sort of thing to be honest. People should just talk normal to each other instead of deliberately saying upsetting things just to get a reaction. Already today I’ve heard these sorts of vile banter:

“Not surprised you got scrapes way you drive”
“Avin another breakfast yet?”
“Bleedin eck pal, thought you were dead!”
“Tell me why does the river not flow”

Other people must suffer this too?
Perhaps it's just horse play?
11-10-2017, 10:20   #3
ohmyword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy1976 View Post
Perhaps it's just horse play?
Nay I don't think so. That's canter not banter.

Last edited by ohmyword; 11-10-2017 at 10:27.
11-10-2017, 10:21   #4
NicDan&Oz

Total Posts: 59
You would deffo not like working where I do then....

We are all currently debating who in the office has terrorised the ladies this morning making them unusable for the rest of us

Love office bants tho....
11-10-2017, 10:24   #5
ohmyword

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicDan&Oz View Post
You would deffo not like working where I do then....

We are all currently debating who in the office has terrorised the ladies this morning making them unusable for the rest of us

Love office bants tho....
Yuk. See, that conjures up really horrible images in my head and now they won't go away. You mean someone 'done a toilet' in a bad way and left it? I'd have to put hearplugs in if I worked in your place for sure.
11-10-2017, 10:55   #6
Bodie

Total Posts: 518
I love workplace banter it makes a working environment more enjoyable - providing both/all parties are of the same thought.

What I don't like are those that give it but take offence when returned! Banter works both ways and has to be mutual.

We have a driver that likes to 'try' and fit in but can't take criticism. He will openly joke about other drivers ability/mistakes but takes offence when it is returned after his own mistakes.
11-10-2017, 11:08   #7
geared

Total Posts: 12,364
Maybe you should work from home if you're a total prude?

Normal folk don't want you ruining their happy work environment with your boring attitude.
11-10-2017, 11:12   #8
ohmyword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodie View Post
I love workplace banter it makes a working environment more enjoyable - providing both/all parties are of the same thought.

What I don't like are those that give it but take offence when returned! Banter works both ways and has to be mutual.

We have a driver that likes to 'try' and fit in but can't take criticism. He will openly joke about other drivers ability/mistakes but takes offence when it is returned after his own mistakes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geared View Post

Normal folk don't want you ruining their happy work environment with your boring attitude.
That’s the problem though, it never usually works that way. One man’s beef is another man’s potion, as they say, and it’s the same with this. As an example, last week at work a guy was bringing a delivery and I think he wasn’t sure if anyone knew he was knocking on the door so he knocked again a few times. That idiot lad I referred to earlier shouted “By eck! What’s wi all t’ knocking? Are the Jovos coming for us?”. Then he opened the door and decided to ‘maketh sport’ of the delivery guy’s appearance (messy long hair and a beard). “Flippin eck! Rasputin returns!” bellowed the idiot in his booming voice. Just as all this was happening, a colleague who supports the Jehovas at religion was showing a Russian guest to the meeting rooms and they both took big offence (hence idiot getting done).

Last edited by ohmyword; 11-10-2017 at 11:25.
11-10-2017, 12:08   #9
geared

Total Posts: 12,364
Well talk with a few people and the boss, maybe everyone would be abit happier if one loudmouth kept his gob shut more often?
11-10-2017, 12:12   #10
monkey104

Total Posts: 3,213
Does everyone at your place of work speak as you write?
_______
Life is for living! A life having being lived is not turning up at the pearly gates in a pristine body, it's sliding in on your knees, body tattered, torn and worn out shouting " What a rush."
11-10-2017, 12:13   #11
beefface

Total Posts: 745
I smell a complete wind up, on many levels.
11-10-2017, 12:46   #12
TimmyR

Total Posts: 2,731
Quote:
That’s the problem though, it never usually works that way. One man’s beef is another man’s potion, as they say, and it’s the same with this. As an example, last week at work a guy was bringing a delivery and I think he wasn’t sure if anyone knew he was knocking on the door so he knocked again a few times. That idiot lad I referred to earlier shouted “By eck! What’s wi all t’ knocking? Are the Jovos coming for us?”. Then he opened the door and decided to ‘maketh sport’ of the delivery guy’s appearance (messy long hair and a beard). “Flippin eck! Rasputin returns!” bellowed the idiot in his booming voice. Just as all this was happening, a colleague who supports the Jehovas at religion was showing a Russian guest to the meeting rooms and they both took big offence (hence idiot getting done).
The odds o' that!

---------- Post added 11-10-2017 at 12:49 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by geared View Post

Now we're talking. We might as well get some banter going in this virtual workplace also you great big offal eating goat herder (no offence to great big people, offal eaters, people who herd any kind of animal or goats)
_______
Unless...

Last edited by TimmyR; 11-10-2017 at 12:51.
11-10-2017, 13:09   #13
ohmyword

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyR View Post
Now we're talking. We might as well get some banter going in this virtual workplace also you great big offal eating goat herder (no offence to great big people, offal eaters, people who herd any kind of animal or goats)
Oh great. Cheers pal. I read your banter just then and quite liked it so I thought I’d try it out on the CEO when I saw her in the canteen. I crept up on her from behind and blurted “nah then, the offal munching big boss monster is in da house!”. Sadly, this caused her to spill the tea she was making and now I must attend a special disciplinary meeting on Friday. That’ll ruin my weekend no doubt.
11-10-2017, 13:40   #14
TimmyR

Total Posts: 2,731
Quote:
Oh great. Cheers pal. I read your banter just then and quite liked it so I thought I’d try it out on the CEO when I saw her in the canteen. I crept up on her from behind and blurted “nah then, the offal munching big boss monster is in da house!”. Sadly, this caused her to spill the tea she was making and now I must attend a special disciplinary meeting on Friday. That’ll ruin my weekend no doubt.
CEO = can eat offal, seems more of an observation than an insult. If she can't accept who she really is then she deserves to lose some tea. You'd be better off leaving I'd say.
_______
Unless...
11-10-2017, 14:31   #15
ohmyword

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyR View Post
CEO = can eat offal, seems more of an observation than an insult. If she can't accept who she really is then she deserves to lose some tea. You'd be better off leaving I'd say.
You know what – I never had a clue what it stood for. We live in a world suffused with acronyms and unnecessary abbrevs that I just let them wash over my head (so to speak). Thanks for learning me something new today. I’ll let you off for getting me done I suppose.
11-10-2017, 18:20   #16
tinfoilhat

Total Posts: 13,653
Office bantz is alright until things start to escalate. "Back in the day" as a young man, me and my mate at work (boring office job) went to ever increasing lengths to put the other one off when they were on he phone. The culminated in me receiving a proper good dead arm resulting in a sharp yelp, and a bruise. My revenge came later that day as I launched a successful flying-knee dead leg as he was trying to chat up the lass in accounts. He yelped a whole lot and rolled on the floor. I laughed a bit but less so when I realised the boss clocked he whole thing. We got told off and he said he wanted to sack me which was a bit mean.
_______
We get the world we deserve.
Reply To Topic