Does anyone remember the Roman Rooms Italian restaurant?

I think this was situated on Leopold Street in the 60's and early 70's - it was open quite late for that time and was frequented by young people, students, Greeks and Italians of course! The manageress was called Mavis and I worked there for a short time as a waitress over the weekends. The spag bol was to die for and so were the burgers.

The Roman Room was one of the few restaurants where we used to eat when we were young laries on a Saturday night.

The decor was great and the food excellent.

Thanks for the memory.

It was turned into a Berni Inn and went the way of all burnt steak

I remember The Roman Rooms too. My mom and dad took me there when I was about 12 (so around 1967... I think). Me and dad loved it but mom wasn't sure because it was 'foreign'!!! Of course, we never went again... moms rule OK!?

i can remember it well it was definatley turned in to a bernie.My ex husband and myself usedto go on Sometimes on a Sunday night after the pubs closed at 10-30 .we always used to be one of the last customers in .I can remember one night they whisked our plates away practically before we had finished eating so my sister-in-law who was with us at the time asked for the cheese board just to be awkward as she was so annoyed although we tried to reason with her that the staff were wanting to go home.We never went back after that in case they reconised us as we were so embarrased with her actions.

hi just been told my mum my have worked there her name was Elaine Todd

We thought it was very sophisticated. I had my first ever lemon tea there, served in a tall glass in a metal holder. I think it was about one and six, 1964? There was a wall made from stacked wine bottles near the entrance and big gold painted roman coins on the wall. Loved the place!

Does anyone recall an Italian guy who worked at the Roman Rooms in the 60’s?

The Roman Room -later Bernie Inn-was on Orchard Street.

We remember it being opened (probably in the late 50's). It was previously "The Sunshine Shop" - a vegetarian place, managed by Mr. Gill, the father of a friend of mine. We were students when we started to go to the "Roman Room", which was on Orchard Street, now subsumed by the shopping precinct.