Christmas trees - where to buy 2017

I have never had a Christmas tree in the garden, but this year the idea really appeals to me. It doesn't have to be a real one, but for outdoors I think a decent size is a good idea.

I was in Wilkos at Parkgate this afternoon. They have some 7ft arificial ones* reduced to £40. Is that a good price? There are 3 different colours to choose from and they look quite nice.

They also have various sets of LED tree lights complete with a transformer. Some* of the sets are just one colour, and other sets are multi-colours. There are small sets with 150 LED lights. There was one multi-colour set that I was interested in that had 600 lights. I think that would look quite good.

Homebase do a 7ft artificial tree for £15.

Ive no idea what the quality is like, but like a lot of things you probably get what you pay for.

we always buy a 'real' tree, and a year or so later, I can use the main stalk on my wood lathe. Been turning last year's tree into artistic hedgehogs today!

We buy from Littlemoor, Chesterfield, but the Plant Centre in Unstone have some nice ones, decent prices, will go there this year.

Thanks. That's 3 places to check out.

Smithy266- That's a creative way to recycle last year's tree. That sounds like it was a decent tree- what sort of diameter was the stalk/ that you were turning on you lathe?

Only a couple of inches.... they are a delight to work with...

For the last 15 years I've been getting it (the same one) down from the loft.

I remember buying my first real christmas tree in 1970 from the market place along from pond st , it must have been between 7 and 8 foot tall and i had to take it home on the bus , the top was bent over on the bus roof but i got it home in one piece

I've just phoned the plant centre at Unstone Dronfield. The guy told me the sizes 6ft, 8ft,12ft etc. Ok. I said* how much for a* 6ft? He said I never give prices on the phone. I explained that I am in Rotherham. He just repeated, I never give prices on the phone.I said ok I 'll leave it.

Seams a strange way to deal with potential customers, or maybe it's me :hihi:

Sorry to hear that.... I will stop and ask next time I walk past....

Welbeck Estate Garden Centre. Probably way out of your way Janus, I'm afraid.

We've tried the rest (supermarkets, other garden centres, even pick-and-saw on site) over the years, but they're the best quality/price ratio, by a mile. Will be going back there this year.

We always have a real one, can't beat the smell and feel of it in the room. Either a 7ft or a 10ft, depending on the year/lounge layout. Bit of a job getting it home (in a Mini, with the top down :D), but that's part and parcel of 'Xmas' ;)

We bought our artificial one from Ferndale but for anyone buying a real christmas tree support your local grocers/florists selling them don't buy from a supermarket help the local independant shops