Does anyone remember any of the old shops in Hillsborough

As I was born in Hillsborough in 1946 does anyone have any memories of the old shops in the period 1950-1960's, ? I remember playing on Wadsley Common, and in Beeley Woods.

178 Patricia

In the early 60's, next to Barclays Bank, 2, Middlewood Rd., were Styans and Shentalls.

Hi 178Patricia - you may like to look at this old thread. Some of the links don't work any more (they are deleted if nobody views them for several months) but here is a scan from the 1954 Kelly's Directory showing shops in Middlewood Road between Hillsborough Corner and Minto Road. :)

Hi hillsbro

Thanks for your reply, yes I now remember Shentalls and Styrans, I also remember going to Timpson shoe shop on the corner of Bradfield Road for new shoes and having to have my feet x-rayed in their machine on the shop floor. Also going a few years later to Woolworths with my spending money.

178 Patricia

---------- Post added 31-12-2015 at 18:43 ----------

In the early 60's, next to Barclays Bank, 2, Middlewood Rd., were Styans and Shentalls.

Thank you for your reply, yes I do remember Styans and Shentalls, also the Pork shop but can't remember the name also Timpsons shoe shop on the corner of Bradfield Road, the co-op, and later on Woolworths.

...also the Pork shop but can't remember the name...
Could be Denton's, Godfrey's or maybe Kelsey's. Funk's is still there. :)

Thanks it is Kelseys and A Happy New Year to you
Happy New Year in return, and to all Forummers!

Kelsey's was an excellent shop on the corner of Taplin Road. The Kelsey family came originally from Lincolnshire and were of good, solid farming stock. Harold Kelsey (a tall chap, always cheerful and energetic with "the gift of the gab") took over the shop that his uncle, Winter Kelsey - that really was his name - had run since about 1920. Harold retired and passed the shop on to his nephew, who didn't seem to have a good head for business and the shop sadly went downhill. Harold died aged 78 in 1982.

Howards Dairy,Fletchers bread,Matthews wool,Glossops,Talbots,Moules,Baines,Willcocks,[Procter Place ladies hairdresser,Nellie Bingleys flowers,Atkin Ansell furniture,Treganzas nuts and bolts, Don Bakery,Kimema pictures.] Wigfalls,Dentons,KaySisters.P/O,Tufts,Thomases,Davys, Burtons,Timpsons,Wigfalls furniture, Midland Bank,Boots,Sykesfruit,Kellseys,Blaskeys, Parkers,[Jimmys Cobblers Taplin Rd]Wallaces, Hopkinsons,Styrans drink shop, Chip Shop, Garnetts Hairdresser,Edleys Sweet shop,Godfreys Butchers ,Funks bUtchers,Yarrows Paper Shop,

Happy New Year in return, and to all Forummers!

Kelsey's was an excellent shop on the corner of Taplin Road. The Kelsey family came originally from Lincolnshire and were of good, solid farming stock. Harold Kelsey (a tall chap, always cheerful and energetic with "the gift of the gab") took over the shop that his uncle, Winter Kelsey - that really was his name - had run since about 1920. Harold retired and passed the shop on to his nephew, who didn't seem to have a good head for business and the shop sadly went downhill. Harold died aged 78 in 1982.

Just seen this - great to hear that Hillsborough folk still have good memories of my "Great-uncle" Harold's shop! Winter Kelsey was my great grandfather, Harold was his son - I remember Harold's shop in the 1970s & it still bore the sign "W A Kelsey" in white lettering on a red background. Harold's brother Ralph was my maternal grandfather, he & his wife Emma ran their own pork shop at Wadsley Bridge on the other side of the road to Wadsley Bridge Methodist. There was a third sibling, Clifford Kelsey.

Hi GleadlessLad - yes, there are still some Hillsborough folk who remember your Great Uncle Harold as an astute, hard-working businessman with the "human touch" that made him popular with customers, and his shop was always spotless and well-run. Every Saturday in the early 1960s my mum gave my brother and me each a sixpenny pork pie from there! It's a long time since I did the family history but I somehow thought that Harold Kelsey was Winter Kelsey's nephew. I evidently confused him with another Harold Kelsey so thanks for putting me right here. I don't know if you have access to online records; if not you may like to see these "1939 Register" entries for the 21 Middlewood Road and 56 Penistone Road North shops.

Thanks very much for this Hillsbro - I've sent a private message.
I just replied.