Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

Just out of interest, if someone stops paying their rent in social housing, then what should the process be?

Also, did you see QT on Thursday? It was in Barnsley, and this cropped up. Nicky Morgan tried to address this, but on the whole programme really was a shambolic embarrassment. I'm surprised someone didn't bring in a Thatcher effigy and set fire to it, that was all that was missing :hihi:

Of course people should pay their rent. I've never said otherwise. I was pointing out that homelessness could happen to someone who did pay their rent every week without fail. This would not happen in social housing where the tenancy is guaranteed so long as criteria such as paying the rent are met.

(However, it does point up the perils of Universal Credit where the recipient has to wait at least 6 weeks, and often much longer, without any money coming in and ends up in serious debt.)

Didn't see QT this week. However (IMO) I do think Nicky Morgan is not a very effective speaker. She always looks like a rabbit caught in the headlights to me.

Of course people should pay their rent. I've never said otherwise. I was pointing out that homelessness could happen to someone who did pay their rent every week without fail. This would not happen in social housing where the tenancy is guaranteed so long as criteria such as paying the rent are met.

(However, it does point up the perils of Universal Credit where the recipient has to wait at least 6 weeks, and often much longer, without any money coming in and ends up in serious debt.)

Didn't see QT this week. However (IMO) I do think Nicky Morgan is not a very effective speaker. She always looks like a rabbit caught in the headlights to me.

:hihi: You say about politicians not answering questions and here it is! Even non-politicians do it! ;)

:hihi: You say about politicians not answering questions and here it is! Even non-politicians do it! ;)

OK, I see your point :hihi:

I assume they would be evicted and deemed to have made themselves homeless by not paying the rent, so would not qualify for rehousing. In other words be on the street.

BUT, I think the social housing people might give them a little more leeway if it was because of something like the change onto Universal Credit - which was what I was on about. I don't know though; maybe someone who has experienced it can tell us.

But I was generally speaking about the insecurity of people who do pay their rent and obey all the rules but can still find themselves evicted.

One problem is people who, having claimed benefit money on account of rent [= LHA or HB] fail to pay their rent with it!

One problem is people who, having claimed benefit money on account of rent [= LHA or HB] fail to pay their rent with it!

Yes,

What could possibly go wrong !

Whoever thought of this idea has obviously no idea whatsoever how people on passported benefits exist.

Yes,

Whoever thought of this idea has obviously no idea whatsoever how people on passported benefits exist.

As a tory voter ,I have said this is one of worst policies I have heard of

I assume they would be evicted and deemed to have made themselves homeless by not paying the rent, so would not qualify for rehousing. In other words be on the street.

BUT, I think the social housing people might give them a little more leeway if it was because of something like the change onto Universal Credit - which was what I was on about. I don't know though; maybe someone who has experienced it can tell us.

But I was generally speaking about the insecurity of people who do pay their rent and obey all the rules but can still find themselves evicted.

On QT, the woman in the audience kept shouting at Morgan: 'there are 80k out on the street, and you are just using one example' - which I thought was a crap argument (at least hypocritical), seeing as this is what Labour ALWAYS do on the programme, use individual examples.

They way I see it, is that although the woman said: 'It's easy just put the money into it!!' - it clearly isn't easy!, because there are 80 thousand people and a high percentage of them are problem cases - that's why they are on the streets in the first place.

Have a watch of it Anna. You might like it, the Torys get bashed not stop on it :hihi:

In general the UC is a good idea, far less confusing, but it doesn't seem to work right, yet anyway.

-

also, come on, don't try and get out of it...

What would YOU do with these people:

This is what the whole thing boils down to! :)

And this new idea about not paying the money directly for housing is absolutely ludicrous.

This can only make housing problems worse. There is a lot of vetting now and difficulties getting right paperworks and that to rent somewhere. I can't imagine many landlords taking on benefit claimants now.

On QT, the woman in the audience kept shouting at Morgan: 'there are 80k out on the street, and you are just using one example' - which I thought was a crap argument (at least hypocritical), seeing as this is what Labour ALWAYS do on the programme, use individual examples.

They way I see it, is that although the woman said: 'It's easy just put the money into it!!' - it clearly isn't easy!, because there are 80 thousand people and a high percentage of them are problem cases - that's why they are on the streets in the first place.

Have a watch of it Anna. You might like it, the Torys get bashed not stop on it :hihi:

In general the UC is a good idea, far less confusing, but it doesn't seem to work right, yet anyway.

-

also, come on, don't try and get out of it...

What would YOU do with these people:

This is what the whole thing boils down to! :)

And this new idea about not paying the money directly for housing is absolutely ludicrous.

This can only make housing problems worse. There is a lot of vetting now and difficulties getting right paperworks and that to rent somewhere. I can't imagine many landlords taking on benefit claimants now.

It really is a difficult problem isn't it. I think most people want to pay their rent, but simply don't have the money. Not because they are feckless, but because the cost of living outstrips their income, even when they are as frugal as possible, so either pay has to go up, or rents have to come down.

I'd also put a stop to 0 hours contracts, and the so called 'gig' economy - how can people possibly budget when they don't know how much they are going to get paid? And I'd continue to pay realistic housing benefit (direct to the landlord if necessary,) that covers the actual cost of their housing, not minus bedroom tax, etc. and not just a percentage of council tax rather than the whole amount. It's largely things like this that gets people into debt. Basically I'd reverse a lot of the damage the Tory cuts have done.

I want to see practical help for those who struggle with the increasing complexity of life, maybe mandatory classes in budgeting, cooking, and household management. And proper help, be it care in the community, or hospitalisation for those with real mental health issues.

I'd look at what Finland is doing. I read somewhere that they have 0 homelessness. I'd want to know how they do it, with a view to maybe implementing best practice.

I also think Universal credit is probably a good idea (that's if I've understood it correctly,) but the 6 week wait with no money is scandalous. But ultimately, I want to see real jobs that pay a decent wage, and a restructuring of the economy that takes into account the major changes that are on the way.

Edited by Anna B

It really is a difficult problem isn't it. I think most people want to pay their rent, but simply don't have the money. Not because they are feckless, but because the cost of living outstrips their income, even when they are as frugal as possible, so either pay has to go up or rents have to come down.

It's very difficult, which is why when you get the loud mouth ideologists on QT, who just say: 'this is a problem, FIX IT!', really shows that they have no idea. I wouldn't allow people like this in the audience myself. Let them use Twitface and those snapchat things to express themselves.

It really is a difficult problem isn't it. I think most people want to pay their rent, but simply don't have the money. Not because they are feckless, but because the cost of living outstrips their income, even when they are as frugal as possible, so either pay has to go up or rents have to come down.

Most, yes. There are 60 million people or so, in the country, and 80k or so have issues or problems, or are feckless, who don't... and this is what is the issue in hand.

I'd also put a stop to 0 hours contracts - how can people possibly budget when they don't know how much they are going to get paid? And I'd continue to pay realistic housing benefit that covers the actual cost of their housing, not minus bedroom tax, etc. and not just a percentage of council tax rather than the whole amount.

Spoken just like Rebecca Long-Bailey ;)

It's very difficult, which is why when you get the loud mouth ideologists on QT, who just say: 'this is a problem, FIX IT!', really shows that they have no idea. I wouldn't allow people like this in the audience myself. Let them use Twitface and those snapchat things to express themselves.

Most, yes. There are 60 million people or so, in the country, and 80k or so have issues or problems, or are feckless, who don't... and this is what is the issue in hand.

Spoken just like Rebecca Long-Bailey ;)

It's also a population issue. Rent is so high because demand is so high. Whatever your thoughts om immigration it's a fact that the population has increased hugely in the past 5 or ten years. We're a relatively small island that doesn't have the infrastructure to cope with that

Some cite the solution as buildimg huge amounts more houses- which inevitably means destroying green belt land, which no one really wants to happen.

It sometimes baffles me that the 'come one come all' attitude to mass migration the blair years adopted tp mass migration didn't foresee this. Allegations of racism and xenophobia arpund discussions of the issue made it something you couldn't say, but the simple fact of the matter is that far too many people flooded in. Hence wages down, rent costs up. Supply and demand. And it doesn't make you in any way a bigot, a right winger to state that. The fact that those who did in the past were so often branded as such is a big contributer to why we have auch public frustration and unrest.

Edited by paula4sheff

Yes,

I heard at the time that it was done that way because when the rent was paid directly to landlords the labor government just gave them whatever they asked,thereby causing rents to spiral out of control. Giving the money to tenants meant landlords couldn't get too greedy.

I heard at the time that it was done that way because when the rent was paid directly to landlords the labor government just gave them whatever they asked,thereby causing rents to spiral out of control. Giving the money to tenants meant landlords couldn't get too greedy.

Yes, I think this is probably true, but giving the money direct to tenants who are constantly having to rob Peter to pay Paul is not going to help. Rents haven't come down, homelessness has gone up.

Rent controls would be a better idea.

---------- Post added 18-12-2017 at 10:11 ----------

It's also a population issue. Rent is so high because demand is so high. Whatever your thoughts om immigration it's a fact that the population has increased hugely in the past 5 or ten years. We're a relatively small island that doesn't have the infrastructure to cope with that

Some cite the solution as buildimg huge amounts more houses- which inevitably means destroying green belt land, which no one really wants to happen.

It sometimes baffles me that the 'come one come all' attitude to mass migration the blair years adopted tp mass migration didn't foresee this. Allegations of racism and xenophobia arpund discussions of the issue made it something you couldn't say, but the simple fact of the matter is that far too many people flooded in. Hence wages down, rent costs up. Supply and demand. And it doesn't make you in any way a bigot, a right winger to state that. The fact that those who did in the past were so often branded as such is a big contributer to why we have auch public frustration and unrest.

Yes, I think I agree with this too, (especially the bit in bold.) I wish I didn't. A world without borders would be a fine thing, but the world is not ideal so IMO we need controlled immigration for the time being.

Edited by Anna B