Does anyone remember any of the old shops in Hillsborough

Thanks hillsbro for the photo of Dobson's, I'd been searching for one!

The old building further down Queen Street was an annexe to the Central Tech.School where the canteen and other classrooms were.

Curiosity got the better of me and I just did some online "research" on Jim Gordon to add to what I did for another thread some time ago. Kelly's directories indicate that Jim opened the shop at 66 Holme Lane in 1937-38, and the "1939 Register" finds him there, aged 43 and living over the shop with his wife Lillie, 46. Jim’s occupation is given as as "Radio dealer & engineer, own account ... 20 years as machine tool setter". So Jim had entered the radio business when it "took off" in the 1930s, after some time as a tool setter. Looking at online sources, James Richard Gordon was born at Curbar, Derbyshire, on 11 January 1896, and the 1911 census return finds him as a "garden boy (domestic)" living at Curbar with his parents Robert and Abigail. Jim married Lillie Levick in 1923, and they had two daughters. They owned a cottage in Curbar where they spent weekends, but I think that by the 1960s Jim and his wife lived there permanently. As mentioned above, Jim died aged 80 in 1976; Lillie lived to the good age of 96 and died in 1994.

Sorry to disturb this thread, but I'm trying to get in contact with the user Hillsb ro, who wrote the last post in the thread.

It's about a wonderful photograph you have posted in several threads showing you and your family on a Triumph motorcycle with sidecar in the fifties. Could you please send an e-mail (it doesn't have to contain any text) to matsotandreasson@hotmail.com, and I'll get back to you! (I tried to reach you through a personal message here on the forum, but to do that you first have to make five posts...). / Mats A from Sweden.

Curiosity got the better of me and I just did some online "research" on Jim Gordon to add to what I did for another thread some time ago. Kelly's directories indicate that Jim opened the shop at 66 Holme Lane in 1937-38, and the "1939 Register" finds him there, aged 43 and living over the shop with his wife Lillie, 46. Jim’s occupation is given as as "Radio dealer & engineer, own account ... 20 years as machine tool setter". So Jim had entered the radio business when it "took off" in the 1930s, after some time as a tool setter. Looking at online sources, James Richard Gordon was born at Curbar, Derbyshire, on 11 January 1896, and the 1911 census return finds him as a "garden boy (domestic)" living at Curbar with his parents Robert and Abigail. Jim married Lillie Levick in 1923, and they had two daughters. They owned a cottage in Curbar where they spent weekends, but I think that by the 1960s Jim and his wife lived there permanently. As mentioned above, Jim died aged 80 in 1976; Lillie lived to the good age of 96 and died in 1994.
.........very interesting Hilly! I knew him from when I worked at Thomas's radio and TV shop round the corner! (previous thread).

Glad you found the little "biography" interesting, mossdog! I wondered about the surname Gordon, which is of course Scottish, and Jim's grandfather James Gordon (1801-1876) was a Scottish gamekeeper. He seems to have moved to the Longshaw estate in the 1860s and married the Derbyshire-born Sarah Woodhouse in 1868 (according to the 1871 census she was 36 years younger than him!) Robert Peter Gordon (1868-1935) was Jim's father.

I remember you worked at Thomas's, and I found a good 1970s photo of the shop on the picturesheffield.com site - here is a link. In the 1950s it was a much smaller shop, a little further down; it must have moved to the larger premises around 1960.

Edited by hillsbro
Word omitted.

Glad you found the little "biography" interesting, mossdog! I wondered about the surname Gordon, which is of course Scottish, and Jim's grandfather James Gordon (1801-1876) was a Scottish gamekeeper. He seems to have moved the Longshaw estate in the 1860s and married the Derbyshire-born Sarah Woodhouse in 1868 (according to the 1871 census she was 36 years younger than him!) Robert Peter Gordon (1868-1935) was Jim's father.

I remember you worked at Thomas's, and I found a good 1970s photo of the shop on the picturesheffield.com site - here is a link. In the 1950s it was a much smaller shop, a little further down; it must have moved to the larger premises around 1960.

........thats right! When I went to see a cowboy Picture at the Hillsborough Kinema on Proctor Place round the corner on thursday afternoon matinees,I always looked in Thomas's old shop window at the display of LP covers he had of mostly crooners and musical film soundtracks! etc.Then walk up to Spooners opposite the Barracks and plant my nose firmly on the window to admire his display of mouth organs and recorders etc!

I got all my solid oak handcarved furniture from Harry Slack in the early 70s and still have it all,i was friends with Harry and his wife and Stuart and North their daughter,they lived up Stannington and Harry was a very fair man to deal with,i had carpets and curtains from them as well he helped me a lot in those days.

Hi bullerboy - I remember Harry Slack, your oak furniture might have been the 'Stag' brand, beautifully made pieces. fleetwood

Oates electrical shop top of Parkside Rd. Also a cycle shop on Leppings Lane/ Catchbar lane.

Oates electrical shop top of Parkside Rd. Also a cycle shop on Leppings Lane/ Catchbar lane.
The cycle shop on Catch Bar Lane was Tony Butterworth's - here is a photo taken in 2006.

Fleetwood its made by Webber and Harrison and they were in Croydon now they are based in Weymouth but still going.

---------- Post added 15-12-2017 at 14:19 ----------

Hillsbro it was originally Bert Beeches Cycle shop.

---------- Post added 15-12-2017 at 14:23 ----------

Mossdog, Steve Spooner the son and Grandson is on Facebook and if i remember Thomas's was were Graingers went to after Thomas's moved to the corner shop.Steve is a facebook friend of mine and i speak nearly everyday to him,ime sure he would be pleased to give you any info you require about the shop,He is more prolific on Mike Carvers Sheffield Hearts and Roots site.Mike died last year and came from Carlton road before heading south but the site is one of the best on FB for expats and that means anyone who doesnt live in Sheffield now but its not tight at that there is a bit of slack.

---------- Post added 15-12-2017 at 14:32 ----------

arrodbo Oates was a step back in time,two brothers who appeared a little strange but knew their stuff,i think Ma Oates owned a bit of property she rented out in Hillsborough.

Edited by bullerboY

......if i remember Thomas's was were Graingers went to after Thomas's moved to the corner shop...
That's right - No 8 Middlewood Road. Monty Thomas actually owned much of the property in that row of shops.

...Hillsbro it was originally Bert Beeches Cycle shop...
Yes, Tony Butterworth purchased the business after Bert Beach died in 1964; Tony had just come out of the Merchant Navy. Tony's father Albert had a cycle shop on Abbeydale Road, notable for the "Penny Farthing" bicycle fixed to the wall above the window! Bert's surname "BEACH" and part of "AUTOMOBILE ENGINEER" (his original trade) can still be made out painted on the back of the building - see here.