Newhall Rd. 1955 to 1962

I lived on Don Rd, opposite Brightside Foundary, until 1969. I went to both infants (Miss Bailey- Head and Miss Tiass? first teacher) and juniors. Mrs.Connor, Miss Thorpe, Miss Bloom and then J4,first with Mr.Plant then Miss Turton.Head was Mr.Bronks!!!

Xmas, 2010 I learned that Miss Turton was in a nursing home, well she was over 80!!

Names from that time;

Pete Taylor Rodney Wright Mick Winterbottom Dave Scott Dave Toulson Philip Petty Jeffs Poole and Poulton.Mick Jones Brian Flynn.

Angela Guite Irene Mellor(she always asked to dance with me on Weds.afternoon to Miss Bloom's directions and Lucy Cecelia Guest on piano)

Susan Ellis Diane Smith Val Townsend Susan Mitchell Jen Jones Pat Tuckwood

June Nadin Maureen Bell Susan Martin.

Older faces were Raymond Wigley(who could forget him??) Fred Hazelhurst Roy and Joe Kitchen Philip Jones and his sisters - see Mick above!.

The Forge The Bricklayers The Bridge pubs. Abbots and Turners sweet/paper shops and Simpson's corner shop, top of Sanderson Street.

Hi 11plus - I'm not familiar with the school but the headteacher Gerald Bronks (1901-1974) lived next door to my grandparents at Meadowhead and I knew him quite well. His parents were Jewish refugees from Russia who came to England in the 1880s.

Of the people you mention, Pat Tuckwood and David Scott are registered on (and so may be contacted via) the http://www.friendsreunted.com website..:)

You may be interested to know that Mr.Bronks was called Jerrod and that he was a bit of a part time scout for Wednesday!! I believe he recommended Albert Quixall to them.

He and my uncle Bill were known to each other, Bill was a staff photographer on Tel & Star as well as having his own studio, for a time, in the Arcade near Suggs Sport Shop.

hi 11plus my hubby originates from that area he recalls most names mentioned.he lived on woodbine rd and attended newhall school then to hartley brook.he is simular age to roger kitchen and jennifer jones.we have been to afew reunions organised his brother in law jack barnes.my hubby is john holland

You may be interested to know that Mr.Bronks was called Jerrod and that he was a bit of a part time scout for Wednesday!! I believe he recommended Albert Quixall to them...
I remember that he and my grandad were always talking football! Albert Quixall was one of the best players Wednesday ever had. Regarding spelling his first name, especially as a teacher he would have got it right but others evidently didn't. I just checked a few sources and found four varieties:

G.R.O. births index - Jerold Bronks

1911 census - Gerald Bronks

1942 Kelly's directory - Jerrold Bronks

1968 & 1973 Kelly's directories - Gerald Bronks

G.R.O. deaths index - Jerald Bronks

He was a cousin of Norma Bronks, an Assistant Matron at the Northern General Hospital in the 1960s. Both their fathers had tailoring businesses in Sheffield.

Edited by hillsbro

HI alemap, I remember Woodbine Rd. and I too have been to reunions organised by Jack, last one was Fir Vale I think. My old school pal Peter Taylor got us details.It's been a while since last reunion we wondered if Jack was ok?

Roger Kitchen was at least 4 years older than me but Jenny Jones was in my class so she's younger than Roger. I recently learned from Peter than one of the Kitchen brothers, Rog or Joe,not sure which,committed suicide several years ago!!

Does your Hub remember Geoff Poulton as he lived right down at the end of Woodbine Road?

Who was the boy with the built-up shoe? Somebody Bolton I think!!!

Correction to my first post; it was Anne Mitchell not Susan, Sue was 2 or 3 years younger,sorry!!!

hi11plus yes very well he had an older brother michael he would be 63/64 years old. the lame boy was alan bolton it was polio he had a caliper on his leg for years.also know the mitchell family very well anne would be roughly 60 now. they were a big family, they lived next door to the wiggley family. the poulton family lived at 35 woodbine rd.by the way was it peter carder who told you of the kitchen suicide

hi 11plus again forgot to mention jack barnes he is okay and well and we also was at the commrades club firvale for the reunion we have been to most of them and had a very good time remenissing of the newhall years.john noticed that in your other post it was peter taylor who had told you of the kitchen family incident

Yup, definitely Pete Taylor who told me. Any news on further reunions?

Hi 11 plus, Just read your post and remember most of the names on there. I was brought up on Newhall Road. I lost contact with Angela Guite when she and the family moved to Handsworth. We were good friends and I would love to know what became of her. Dave Toulson and I worked together when we got older at Avery Scales in Sheffield. I have to say to you that my name is not in your list so you may not know me. I only lived a few doors down Newhall from Angela at number 77. My name is Keith.

Now then, Alsithee,

The only Keith I remember from Newhall Rd. was Keith Nicklin who introduced me to Shiregreen Cricket Club when his Dad became caretaker at Hatfield Houselane Sec.Are you still playing the mouth organ?

You would remember Alan Whattam and his little sisters,Barbera and Michael Haythorne, Susan Burns and a girl called 'Tricia' but I can't recall her surname!!

Have you worked me out yet?

Get back if you think you have!!!!!