Buildings pre-dating the Crucible theatre

Can anyone recall what buildings were on the site of the Crucible theatre? I'm trying to pinpoint the location of a farrier's/blacksmiths that was in that area - on Norfolk Street.

I've searched for an old map online, but have been unable to find one.

There was a pub roughly where the theatre is now. Was it called the Albion?

Norfolk Street was a lot longer than it is now. There used to be a saying "You've got a face as long as Norfolk Street" I think it went right over the dual carriageway in one direction and through the area where the St Paul and the office blocks are now, and right down to the bottom of the Moor before the now demolished Town Hall extension was built. There were some really nice buildings demolished for that work to be carried out.

Ruby,

It started pretty much on Pond street, on that little "close" by the old odeon (now Mecca bingo) where the taxies go, (called Esperanto place, these days)

and yes, it went up past the town hall, and right down toward Redvers house.

PS, for a map, sheffieldhistory dot co dot uk have some you can look at online.

PS, for a map, sheffieldhistory dot co dot uk have some you can look at online.
I've been looking at the Norfolk Street pix on Picture Sheffield site. There's hundreds!! I also typed in Farriers and it came up with 6 but none on Norfolk Street.

Can you give a name and approx date ?. I have some old directories I could check for you.

The Crucible occupies the ground (approximately) between Arundel Street, Milk street, Norfolk street and Sycamore street.

Can you give a name and approx date ?. I have some old directories I could check for you.

The Crucible occupies the ground (approximately) between Arundel Street, Milk street, Norfolk street and Sycamore street.

There was a farriers on Sycamore Street ... there's a picture on the site I was just looking at .... maybe it's that one?

That's the one. Well, there were all those ponies and carthorses about. I lived at Heeley as a child in the 50s and there was a stable block at the bottom of my road. It was full of ragmen's ponies. We used to go down there on Sundays when they weren't out working and push handfuls of grass through the stable doors, carrots and sugar lumps sometimes, if we could beg any from Mother. And feel their breath on our hands and their hairy noses and lips feeling over your skin. Pushing their heads against your arms. And the soft little whickers they made. Poor things all shut up in the dark.

And I suppose the farriers also made ornamental ironmongery, gates and stuff, gate catches and other bits and pieces as a sideline.

Well if the OP does come back...:)

George William YATES is listed as a Shoeing Smith at 11 Sycamore street in the directories for 1911, 1919 and 1925 and if the date on the photo was accurate he was still there in 1940.

In 1919 he also had a smithy at Oaks Green in Attercliffe.

In 1919 and 1925 his home address is given as 98 Sandford Grove Road.

11 Sycamore street was on the left hand side looking down towards Flat street. It also had an entrance from Norfolk street via a covered yard between Nos. 53 & 55 Norfolk Street, directly opposite the end of George street.

Map is here...

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=6111752

but you need to register with the site to view it.

That photo was well spotted Ruby - it gave the name and everything else fell into place :D

Can anyone recall what buildings were on the site of the Crucible theatre? I'm trying to pinpoint the location of a farrier's/blacksmiths that was in that area - on Norfolk Street.

when i was a young boy in the early fifties i had an aunt who worked as a spoon dollier at slack and barlow which was on sycamore st.this was situated at the bottom end of where the top rank was built(opposite end of the building from esperanto place)

on saturday luchtime i would wait for her to finish work when she would take me in the markets for my weekly treats(cockles,comic,sweets).

while i was waiting for her i used to look through dirty and broken windows in t

he building opposite at the horses being shoed.

sorry i cant remember any names or more details other than i think there was some sort of social club for post office staff in the same area.

regards.

when i was a young boy in the early fifties i had an aunt who worked as a spoon dollier at slack and barlow which was on sycamore st.this was situated at the bottom end of where the top rank was built(opposite end of the building from esperanto place)

on saturday luchtime i would wait for her to finish work when she would take me in the markets for my weekly treats(cockles,comic,sweets).

while i was waiting for her i used to look through dirty and broken windows in t

he building opposite at the horses being shoed.

sorry i cant remember any names or more details other than i think there was some sort of social club for post office staff in the same area.

regards.