Sheffield's New Lord Mayor - Magid Magid

Seen it now . Couple of weeks into the job and got a nice little biking holiday booked . Hope hes not claiming expenses for this

:

That is a troll comment isnt it? The guy is cycling to the Somme to raise money for the Sheffield Memorial Park.

He's a fellow countryman, he come across like a breathe of fresh air, what a charming, positive, thoughtful and caring guy with get up and go. I think that he will do wonders, in fact I think that he already has. Very many congratulations and wishing him all the very best :-)

He's making people sit up with his upfront and modern attitude.

I like what he's doing, breaking down the walls between stuffy local politics and the general public, after all we are all talking about him now aren't we.

The only issue i've got is he makes me feel old..... ha ha :D

good for him

Sheffield’s new Lord Mayor is swapping his chains of office for a bike chain – to raise money to commemorate the city’s war heroes in an epic bike ride....

Read more at: https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/sheffield-s-new-lord-mayor-magid-is-swapping-his-chains-of-office-for-a-bike-chain-1-9198434

He's making people sit up with his upfront and modern attitude.

I like what he's doing, breaking down the walls between stuffy local politics and the general public, after all we are all talking about him now aren't we.

The only issue i've got is he makes me feel old..... ha ha :D

Right on bro!

Stop the world, I want to get off.

His.only power is the asting vote in any debate that's tied.

Having had a look at what he's done so far, I still say more self-publicitist & 'chancer' than genuine political Green activist? I'd state that if the local Labour Party offered him a better chance, he'd jump ship?

He's already been on Channel 4's 'Hunted'; offering 'Celebrity Big Brother' & he'll be off.

Whilst I agree that those who hold high office should behave with the decorum that befits their office, I cannot see how Majid's behaviour calls that into question.

If Boris Johnson, the one time occupant of the Mayor of London, can shag about, bad mouth people from other cultures / classes, and generally behave like he was still on the playing fields of Eton and get away with it, then people should have no complaints about Majid, who as far as I can see has done little to warrant criticism.

I have met him, he is a decent guy, but that image just grated.

I have spoken at an event with him which was attended by 100+ visitors to the city. He was a great speaker and left a huge impression on them. He spoke so proudly about Sheffield as a city, and the way in which the city welcomes people from all countries - visitors as well as refugees like him.

He is a fantastic advert for our city. It has been picked up in the media worldwide. I’ve seen comments from people on twitter from USA, Australia and many more countries saying what breath of fresh air he is.

I’m not from the same party as him, so have no political affiliation with him. But I do know that already he has done more to raise the profile of Sheffield around the world than the last 10 Lord Mayors combined. And, apart from the odd open racist, all of that coverage has been entirely positive.

He was on the One Show last night, Russ from the bike hut getting good publicity as well for supplying the bikes for the charity bike ride.

Big video piece in the Guardian

He's done the Chatsworth flower show meeting local investors.

He got my workplace (the AMRC) on national TV visiting Factory 2050.

So not a bad couple of days getting Sheffield in the news.

If Magid has only a ceremonial role, not connected to economics or city direction, not sure of the value. But what economic powers and infrastructure changes are proposed for Dan Jarvis ? Will he have control of the city's/region's revenues/expenses ?

Edited by glennpickard
missed word

Lord Mayors' role has only ever been ceremonial, in recent years at least.