Cockaynes department store, Angel St

The ABC cinema was opened on 18th May 1961 with the premiere of 'Don't bother to knock.' It starred Richard Todd and he was there at its opening.

It may have been that you remember.

echo.

You could be right about the year, as I left school in July 1961, but it was Freddie Cannon I went to see not Richard Todd. Maybe it was something else he opened, as I wouldn't Have skipped an afternoon at school to see Richard Todd lol

Edited by TORONTONY

I liked Cockaynes my mum used to shop there a lot I remember buying some Royal Stuart tartan from there and my mum sewing it down the seams of my trousers back in the 70s I thought I looked the bees knees.

Hi - my father, Ernest Hallows, worked at Cockaynes up until they were blitzed. He was a plumber by trade, and he worked down in the basement looking after the boilers and the heating and plumbing systems. He was at work when the blitz started, and his knowledge of all the underground passageways was instrumental in helping himself and others get out of the wreckage comparatively unscathed. Among them were the commissionaire, Bernard Daniels, his wife (whose name I forget), and son Gerald (who would have been about 6 or 7, I think), who all lived on the premises. They came to live with us in Handsworth for a while until they were able to find accommodation way the other side of town.

Hello John

What a fuss to join the forum. We have a near perfect paper bag with a picture of the store . If you would like it (as a gift) please advise me where to post it.

Regards

Graham Heald

I thought that the Walsh's family lived at The Mount it being their family home. didn't know the shop was there too.

I used to pass it going to school on the no 60 bus I remember a small lake/pond in front of it and thinking how rich you would have to be to live there.

hazel

I believe The Mount was originally a row of seven upmarket, terraced houses

My grandad William Hopkinson worked for Cockaynes as a mattress maker and I have a pamphlet celebrating 100years of the store issued in 1929, not in brilliant condition but think it would be interesting to any of the family whose ancestors were connected to the business. I noticed some years ago a Mr. Cockayne was asking for anyone with information and if by any chance he sees this post could he get in touch?

My grandad William Hopkinson worked for Cockaynes as a mattress maker and I have a pamphlet celebrating 100years of the store issued in 1929, not in brilliant condition but think it would be interesting to any of the family whose ancestors were connected to the business. I noticed some years ago a Mr. Cockayne was asking for anyone with information and if by any chance he sees this post could he get in touch?

If you look at post 24 to 26 you may be able to get in touch with him via his mailbox.

Does anybody have an email address for John Cockayne?

---------- Post added 05-03-2017 at 18:15 ----------

sorry need to post more in order to make contact!

Please dont give out anyone's private information without their prior permission.

Thank you.

Please dont give out anyone's private information without their prior permission.

Thank you.

Obviously!!