"Big Man" Charged for throwing yob off

A passenger who threw a suspected fare-dodger off a train in Scotland has been charged with assault, British Transport Police have said.

Alan Pollock nicknamed 'Big Man' is seen in viral mobile phone footage manhandling 19-year-old Sam Mains during an altercation between the Falkirk youth and the ticket inspector.

Mr Mains was then pushed head-first onto the platform - receiving cuts to his face and bruises.

[Related video: Tube dancing man shoved off train]

British Transport Police said in a statement: "We can now confirm that a 35-year-old man from Stirling and a 19-year-old man from Falkirk are the subject of a report to the local Procurator Fiscal in connection with an incident on-board the 21:33 Edinburgh Waverley to Perth service, at Linlithgow on Friday 9 December 2011."

At first, the 'Big Man' was hailed a 'hero' by many for tackling Mr Mains, while others criticised his heavy-handed response.

Student Sam Mains also faces prosecution after he was reported under section 38 of the Criminal Justice and Licensing Act Scotland, which covers threatening and abusive behaviour, and with trespass. He has yet to be formally charged.

Lets hope "big Man" goes for trial by jury and gets off.

Or is convicted of assault and sent to prison.

Or is convicted of assault and sent to prison.

First offence usually gets a slap on the wrist, wonder if the yob was charged with not having a ticket?

Edited by choogling

Disgusting. The guy was doing the economy a favour, and gets stung for it. Bet that shifty youth receives nothing.

If the student had been thumped or hit causing injury then I might have a bit of sympathy for him. I'd assume most people would say that although the big manwasn't being very p.c. he did what most people would of liked to do

If the student had been thumped or hit causing injury then I might have a bit of sympathy for him. I'd assume most people would say that although the big manwasn't being very p.c. he did what most people would of liked to do

The guard must have asked him to leave it was his choice to refuse and to use obscene language and to abuse the old man.This prosecution is pathetic.Wait for "claims are us" to jump on the bandwagon the yob will probably finish up with a damages claim.

Sign of the times i'm afraid.

Indeed, I've been saying for years that having the criminal age of consent as low as 10 is a waste of time IMO, the law still won't do anything to minors, cos of some daft "human rights" law that won't let them.

Well what did he expect ? Conductor should have left the student pillock, gone to report to the train driver and radioed ahead to British transport police to arrest student pillock as he got off.

Situated badly handled in my opinion. The student wasn't attacking anyone so there was no immediate risk

What a complete waste of time and money.

Also, a fantastic message sent to all the little chavy kids of this country who think they are above everyone else.

The guy should be given a medal for doing something that everyone else wanted to do.

Just what has this nation come too,far too many do gooders ,hand wringers and pc correct muppets,God help us if ever this country is attacked we will have to advertise for real men to come forward.Why are we letting the yobs call the shots?