Manor Castle Village _ Manor Lane

Can anyone remember the Manor Castle Village with the whitewashed cottages, Bertha and Billys Shop and the Post Office which stood back from the road.

Maggie from the Castle (Turret House) and her little dog ?

I remember Billy in the little shop on Manor Lane, it was Paluzzis shop. My Mother used to take me over to the shop from our house on Harborough Avenue across the Manor Fields, looking back now I think she used to get things on the strap.

I will always remember Billy, he always had a big smile on his face whenever we went in, happy days.

Lazarus

Edited by lazarus

Thanks Lazarus,

My mom used to have strap, and we would sometimes have to go up the entry to the back door after 8.00 oclock and fetch her a couple of woodbines to keep her going until my dad got paid.

Maureen

i remember billy,s , used to buy 2/3 fags after school there, i remember the post office ,richardsons i think.

the cobblers, the cottages at the back, ruins still there, i used to play in the castle ruins climing up the chimney, and going in the cellar what was left of it.

ohh those were the days of my life...........................

My mum always goes on about the old days of climbing up that chimney. Looking for the crown jewels??!! She always goes on about having to wear socks on her hands for gloves, bricks in the oven to keep warm and all 6 brothers and sisters having to use the same bath water in front of the fire!

Originally posted by Maureen

Can anyone remember the Manor Castle Village with the whitewashed cottages, Bertha and Billys Shop and the Post Office which stood back from the road.

Maggie from the Castle (Turret House) and her little dog ?

I am too young to remember the village, but i was in the manor castle pub the other day and everyone ws on about it then.......

Are there any pictures, photos of anywhere around the village, as i have searched high and low on the internet and cannot find anything at all. if there ane any of you that have pictures, i would be grateful if you could email some to me.

C4

cheers for that link.

I had a look on the site. Some good stuff there, but still no pics that i wanted. I wondered if anyone has some old photo's of the village in their attics...lol.

if you have, i wouldnt mind a look.......e-mailed of course :P

Dear Maggie,

The landlord at the 'Manor Castle' pub (Stewart) has several photo's of the old village including the cottages and the post office. I may be able to help with further information.

Shaun

Where was the village in relation to the castle????? Can it be seen on Google earth???

On the left hand side directly below the castle (down manor lane towards harborough avenue or the sheffield parkway) on the bad bend in the road!

Are those 2 ruins part of the village????