Why do red lights not apply to cyclists?

Over the past week I've seen 2 cyclists jump red lights, Im not talking about kids either.

I've seen 2 car drivers jump red lights already today while riding my bike.

Some cyclists do it but from what I see more car drivers do!

I've nearly been knocked down on a pedestrian crossing by a cyclist who went through the red light. I was already half way across the road & he just ploughd into everybody who was crossing.

Like bad car drivers, it's only a minority. Unfortunately no one notices the cyclists who do stop at the lights as it's just expected behaviour.

It should be mentioned that many responsible cyclists loathe those who tar us all with the same brush by going through red lights. In fact there's an ongoing campaign by cyclists for cyclists to highlight the dangers of doing so at the link below.

http://www.stopatred.org/why.php

Like bad car drivers, it's only a minority. Unfortunately no one notices the cyclists who do stop at the lights as it's just expected behaviour.

I agree. I see plenty of car/bus drivers do it.

I generally stop for red lights on my bike. If not, I dont actively go through them but mount the pavement instead.

Exactly, I stop at red lights 100% of the time now... However, once i was trackstanding slightly over the white line (endangering no-one) waiting for the light to go green and a Police Car who was in the traffic behind me decided to pull me over and give me a rollocking, a fixed penalty notice which subsequently went to court and ended up with me having to pay £45 with three points on my driving license.

I'm currently contesting the 3 points as there is nowhere in the law which states that you can have a driving license endorsed through a cycling offence.

Check this in the meantime http://www.stopatred.org/

I always stop at red lights, they are there to stop you from colliding with other cars after all, I am a great cyclist and get so angry when I see other cyclists just taking the ****, I see cyclists who go down the middle of the road and then stick fingers up to drivers if they beep at them, seen them go through red lights only to narrowly avoid getting crushed by another car...

Car drivers also annoy me tho especially ones that come out really fast of a side road nearly straight into me as I'm cycling along, drivers who open their doors without checking for me, nearly resulting in me flying over the door, drivers that turn left right in front of me, causing me to crash into the side of their car then shouting at me! Drivers that speed through a red and don't see me so I have to screech on my breaks nearly flying over the front of my handlebars only to discover that she was actually on the phone, I can go on..:rant:

Exactly, I stop at red lights 100% of the time now... However, once i was trackstanding slightly over the white line (endangering no-one) waiting for the light to go green and a Police Car who was in the traffic behind me decided to pull me over and give me a rollocking, a fixed penalty notice which subsequently went to court and ended up with me having to pay £45 with three points on my driving license.

I'm currently contesting the 3 points as there is nowhere in the law which states that you can have a driving license endorsed through a cycling offence.

Check this in the meantime http://www.stopatred.org/

thats insane, how would they know who you are, its not as if you have a license plate on your bike and I dont even drive a car anyway so how would they stop me from cycling:huh:

There are some traffic lights triggered only by the weight of a vehicle. There was a set in Peterborough where it was necessary to carefully pass through a red light at certain times of day - when the traffic was light, so there were no cars available to trigger the lights for you

I don't know of any such lights in Sheffield

I see cyclists jumping red lights everyday, maybe its because they pay no road tax, insurance, mot, that they think the road laws don't apply to them. I have little time for cyclists , they just get in my way.

LOL.....

I see cyclists jumping red lights everyday, maybe its because they pay no road tax, insurance, mot, that they think the road laws don't apply to them. I have little time for cyclists , they just get in my way.

LOL.....

I pay my roadtax/MOT/Insurance/M6 Tolls for my car. I pay insurance for my bicycle which is for theft and 3rd party injury/damage... I think taxing cyclists would be counterproductive.

Remember, its a minority that jump the red lights.

I have little time for impatient drivers like you and are usually the ones who get a windscreen covered in phlegm.