Sign in to follow this  

[SOLD] Any good pubs in Sheffield?

Guest Guest

I hear the Fitzooth & Firkin in Broomhill is good. Is it??

I should be able to help out if you can narrow your criteria down to what sort of pubs.

Its not too bad, the food has gone off, and the beer is cheeper a little way up the road at the Fox and Duck, which is busy throughout the year, even when the Students have gone home, because although it is owned by the Sheffield University Union of Students, all the Broonhill locals have seemed to take a likeing to the place. Especially retired gentlemen.

A pub called "the place" opened and its food is better but has a rubbish atmosphere as far as Im concerned, although that doesn't stop a lot of people going to it. I think all the cream colors just bug me.

Guest Guest

Thank you both for your help. I'm writing a paper on English pubs and I'm trying to find out more information. It would help if I knew who the owner is of the Fitzooth and Firkin.

Guest Guest

I assume the Fitzooth & Firkin is part of the firkin chain of pubs, which are currently being rebranded as the 'it's a scream' pubs. 'It's a scream' pubs are owned and operated by Bass brewers. On this info i again, presume that 'Firkin' pubs are also owned by Bass. You might want to confirm this by way of a phone call to the Bass marketing department. Hope this helps in your paper.

If you want to see a pub a little bit out of the Ordinary you should go and viit the Dove and Rainbow, I shant spoil the surprise. here are some directions:- At the Castle Sqaure Tram stop (in town) head downhill to the argos superstore (very close) and walk through the passageway on its left, and its right in front of you.

Guest Guest

The Fitzooth & Firkin has gone back to its original name of "The Nottinghamshire House". Depnding on your definition of a 'good pub' I suppose its OK. Tends to be too full of students for my liking.

If you want real ale pubs the ones I can think of off the top of my head are (in no particular order).....

The Fat Cat

The Cask & Cutler

The Devonshire Cat

Hillsbourogh Barracks

Gardeners Rest

..and for the worlds strongest beer there's the Frog & Parrot.

Guest Guest

Thank you all for your help. I had heard Fitzooth and Firkin was undergoing a rennovation. Was there a grand re-opening?

when you find a good one let me know. I've lived here since all my legal drinking time but each time I find a pub I like they either knock it down (the hornblower) change hands and take away the pool table (the Ranmoor Inn one name amoung many, or rip out the insides and turn it into a nasty noisy towny bar where it's expensive, you are forced to stand up and are both deafened and made horse due to the music, (the Hallamshire, now BRB to name but one of these ) the Washington in town is pretty good, it has two distinct halves, the regular older bit and the blue music peoples side. It's was bought by a Pulp guy I think, to ensure that it stayed the same!!

i am clearly now that I read this, a disgruntled 25 year old rapidly sounding like my dad.

N

I'm terrible on road names. As you head down West Street it's the road that cuts down the side of Devonshire green (they're in the process of building new flats on the right side of this road), on the skate park side. This road reaches the debenams duel carrigeway at the bottom. The Washington is on the laft about half way down the raod on the corner of the junction of the road that the Devonshire Cat is on.! Hope this makes sense. Also, went in the new revamped nottingham house and , eugh, way too bright, loads of sspace for standing, ie less seats and worst of all, they've got rid of the table footie, another bad pub change to go on my grumpy list.