Looking for a house to buy

Looking for a house to buy in Sheffield and currently looking at houses off Fox Hill Rd area, Ecclesfield near the shops, Wincobank and also Frecheville so would just like to know what people think of the areas please. I have a limited budget which seems to fit in with these. Travel links are relatively important to Hillsborough

I'd go for Ecclesfield over Fox Hill and Frenchville over Wincobank personally.

Do you need to be in the city urban area?? It can be abit cheaper further out of the city as well.

What about looking somewhere a little further out, as geared suggests. I don't know all those areas but I know some of them. Some of them seem to fit on the 86 bus route. If you go as far out as Chapeltown you also have the option of rail travel if you should need to go elsewhere. I'm assuming you work in Hillsborough by your post.

Looking for a house to buy in Sheffield and currently looking at houses off Fox Hill Rd area, Ecclesfield near the shops, Wincobank and also Frecheville so would just like to know what people think of the areas please. I have a limited budget which seems to fit in with these. Travel links are relatively important to Hillsborough

If you work in Hillsbro', I'd rule out Frecheville. Personally, I wouldn't buy in Wincobank at all.

Ecclesfield has some nice houses, and it's more like 'a village in a city' (edit to add: a similar feel to it like Stannington, as your location states you obviously once were there). However, it's quite a large area, and some bits I'd avoid because of constant traffic problems.

Foxhill you will get more for your money than Ecclesfield, and is more accessible than Eccles, though arguably a worse area.

I think if we knew better your budget, you'd probably get more suggestions.

---------- Post added 31-01-2018 at 19:33 ----------

e.g. if you have 80k - then I'd go for Foxhill (not on the Crescent side though), and this budget I doubt would even get a house in Eccles (possibly a small flat)

With a hundred, I'd be looking at Eccles, but you'd get a nice house in Foxhill for that. Perhaps even look at Chapeltown, as with this included, will be far more choice.

If 120, I think you'd get something nice in Eccles for that. (again perhaps look at Chapeltown) - or perhaps a decent terrace further down in Birley Carr

Edited by *_ash_*

I live just off the bottom of Fox Hill Rd and the majority of houses on the street are 3 bed semis but there are also a few 1 bed flats, 2/3 bed townhouses and 4 bed semis/detached. A couple of 3 bed semis have sold recently for approx. &160K.

There's a new development of 3 bed townhouses and 3 bed semis just off fox hill crescent with off road parking ranging from £155,000 - £165,000

If you work in Hillsbro', I'd rule out Frecheville. Personally, I wouldn't buy in Wincobank at all.

Ecclesfield has some nice houses, and it's more like 'a village in a city' (edit to add: a similar feel to it like Stannington, as your location states you obviously once were there). However, it's quite a large area, and some bits I'd avoid because of constant traffic problems.

Foxhill you will get more for your money than Ecclesfield, and is more accessible than Eccles, though arguably a worse area.

---------- Post added 31-01-2018 at 19:33 ----------

e.g. if you have 80k - then I'd go for Foxhill (not on the Crescent side though), and this budget I doubt would even get a house in Eccles (possibly a small flat)

With a hundred, I'd be looking at Eccles, but you'd get a nice house in Foxhill for that. Perhaps even look at Chapeltown, as with this included, will be far more choice.

If 120, I think you'd get something nice in Eccles for that. (again perhaps look at Chapeltown) - or perhaps a decent terrace further down in Birley Carr

Eccles is Manchester isn't it?!

I know all of those areas but not from a point of view of living there.

I'd say Ecclesfield is the better of those. And you're better off living in a lesser house in a better area than the other way round. It's sometimes very tempting to go for a bigger house in a worse area - but it's really not worth it.

Just buy what you can afford in the best area you can afford to live in. You won't go far wrong with that.

I couldn't find better value than here in Wincobank, it's a big area and some parts of it are surprisingly nice. I asked the estate agent why house I bought was so bizzarrely cheap, and he said was due to the bad rep the area has combined with the fact people don't know the nicer estates exist !

Horses for courses and I've no idea what the schools are like as I've no kids but where I am is dead quiet, nice neighbours that look after their homes, 10 mins walk to station / meadowhall, 5 mins drive to M1. Only thing I don't like is it's a 4 mile drive to nearest proper supermarket !

If I was you, I would go a little further out so that you have the future option of travelling by train.

Some parts of Frecheville are near the supertram route . Ideal for Hillsborough

Some parts of Frecheville are near the supertram route . Ideal for Hillsborough

How do you work that out hackney?!

Almost all of it is on roads.