Jimmy Armfield has died

Ex Blackpool & England fullback Jimmy Armfield has passed away aged 82, one of the true gentlemen of football, great player & commentator. R.I.P.

R.I.P.

Played for Blackpool, great skills

Good player and a gentleman,another one of the ,62/ 66 World Cup squads gone and later to establish himself as a commentator. R.I.P Jimmy.

His beloved Blackpool will be devastated,very knowledgeable on radio about football.Don't know if I saw him as a player,but I remember seeing one game against Blackpool at the Lane in the mid sixties,no idea if he was in the team,but they won. R.I.P.

Theres an excellent interview with him on BBC iplayer thats worth listening to.

A proper footballer and gentleman.rip

His beloved Blackpool will be devastated,very knowledgeable on radio about football.Don't know if I saw him as a player,but I remember seeing one game against Blackpool at the Lane in the mid sixties,no idea if he was in the team,but they won. R.I.P.

Depending on what part of the 60's it was, Alan Ball or Emlyn Hughes could have played for Blackpool that day. Jimmy last played for Blackpool in 1971 ...R.I.P. Mr.Armfield.

Edited by stpetre
Add

Depending on what part of the 60's it was, Alan Ball or Emlyn Hughes could have played for Blackpool that day. Jimmy last played for Blackpool in 1971 ...R.I.P. Mr.Armfield.

I saw him twice in Blackpool , both times were Boxing Day matches one in around 1964(I think) and Alan Ball played in that game other notables on the pitch were Ray Charnley and Tony Waiters for Blackpool and on the opposing team were Bobby Moore, Johnny Byrne, Geoff Hirst, Brian Dear, not sure if Martin Peters was in the team. The second time was I think 1966 when a young, skinny Emlyn Hughes was in the team, can't remember the opposition that day. I think it is pretty obvious who the other team was in the first game I mentioned lol. Saw Jimmy a few times at Hillsborough too, R-I-P Mr Armfield.

I saw him twice in Blackpool , both times were Boxing Day matches one in around 1964(I think) and Alan Ball played in that game other notables on the pitch were Ray Charnley and Tony Waiters for Blackpool and on the opposing team were Bobby Moore, Johnny Byrne, Geoff Hirst, Brian Dear, not sure if Martin Peters was in the team. The second time was I think 1966 when a young, skinny Emlyn Hughes was in the team, can't remember the opposition that day. I think it is pretty obvious who the other team was in the first game I mentioned lol. Saw Jimmy a few times at Hillsborough too, R-I-P Mr Armfield.

John Sissons might have played for the Hammers that day.Tony Waiters and Ray Charnley were England Internationals (tho' Ray only once). That's five Blackpool players mentioned who played for England in the mid-60's. My has that club (and owners) slipped down over the years.