The Bottom Welly, Shalesmoor

About to taken over then, eh! There'll be a few changes I reckon.

What! Does this mean the RAT comic strips will be coming down?

I hope it becomes more like a normal pub.

I hope it becomes more like a normal pub.

What`s one of them?

What`s one of them?

A place that a mix of people go in that isn't a weird theme pub.

A place that a mix of people go in that isn't a weird theme pub.

Yeah. Would you say it needs an `eclectic mix` of drinkers? :suspect:

Yeah. Would you say it needs an `eclectic mix` of drinkers? :suspect:

Just a mix of people. For example more of these:

- casual real ale drinkers (not 'enthusiasts') who might pop into any pub anywhere

- young people who aren't that bothered about real ale but might try it now and again

- women on their own or in small groups

- anyone under 40

- passers-by who think 'hmm that looks an inviting and welcoming old building, I must investigate...'

In about 10 years I've probably been there about 3 times, and not at all in the past 5 or more.

It's the unacceptable face of real ale. Or is this just my opinion?

- casual real ale drinkers (not 'enthusiasts') who might pop into any pub anywhere

- young people who aren't that bothered about real ale but might try it now and again

- anyone under 40

- passers-by who think 'hmm that looks an inviting and welcoming old building, I must investigate...'

In about 10 years I've probably been there about 3 times, and not at all in the past 5 or more.

It is the pub from the "Real Ale T**ts" cartoon strip in Viz isn't it?

When I moved back up North a few years ago I used to frequent the place, but these days I hardly go near the Wellie. Much prefer Shakespeare's.

Edited by Stoatwobbler

I've been going since the day Neil and Sheila took over. I used to go most nights of the week because thay always had new and different stuff on. Since they went it floundered a bit.

I do like a lot of the Little Ale Cart beers but they all get a bit samey after a while.

Nowadays I only go once or twice a week but much prefer Shakespeares, Closed Shop or Blake.

Looking forward to the change.

Rumour has it that the Pub King of Sheffield will be taking it over (and I don't mean Thornbridge)!

- anyone under 40

Oh give over, I'd hardly say it was "unacceptable". If you don't like it, you don't have to go in. I've hardly been in the last 2 years, but on the occasions I have, I'm glad it's still there, just for the experience!

Wouldn't it be boring if all pubs had to cater for all people? Your five criteria could just as well apply to a 'spoons.

Oh give over, I'd hardly say it was "unacceptable". If you don't like it, you don't have to go in. I've hardly been in the last 2 years, but on the occasions I have, I'm glad it's still there, just for the experience!

Wouldn't it be boring if all pubs had to cater for all people? Your five criteria could just as well apply to a 'spoons.

It does help if a pub caters to more than just trolley-pushing beertickers.

That's one reason why I prefer Shakespeare's. Yes it is popular with tickers, but you do get a good mix of other types of customer in there.

Think along the lines of The Sheaf View and The Blake...

Although not too keen on the Neepsend Blonde replacing the Acorn Blonde in the above 2 pubs as a "session beer". Too citrus-y for my palette - will have to switch back to the Kelham Easy Rider