Guess Which Country Has Debt Of Nearly 1000% Of GDP..

It's a stunning and sobering bit of research.

Not when its being used to create hysteria about debt levels.

You gave Labour 9 months yesterday. Atleast you've given them a few years this time.

I meant to say around 18 months :) no point in changing it now as its been quoted

Governments set spending commitments for years in advance when setting a budget. So one government commits to the Olympics. The next has it to pay for. One Government sets on a million extra public sector workers. The next has to pay to get rid of them.

one term governments yeah, but labour was in power for longer and so where the tory's before that. the only difference is the tory government left a strong economy that was growing, while labour left a scuttled economy. many labour supporters will dispute this but they are not my words, but descriptions used by many economists over the last 15 years. the torys lost because of sleaze in 1997, labour lost because of their miss management of the economy.

You gave Labour 9 months yesterday. Atleast you've given them a few years this time.

2002 Labour took their budget into deficit, and only post-crash was it near what Norman Lamont left. The problem Gordon Brown had is that post-crash, it really did make a mess.

Source: Guardian DataBlog - Deficit, national debt and government borrowing

what I will say about the figures quoted in the graphic by the guardian. They are a little misleading as they do not show the % of GDP but the actual amount.

the song remains the same. Just keep pushing.