Methane gas lamps in sheffield

Is it because Sheffielder's produce more methane than the residents of other cities?

The reason we had so many is because of the topography of Sheffield, the hilly aspect was the reason.

I remember the one on top of Kent Hill (Kent Road).

We tied two ropes to one of it's arms attached a plank and used it as a communal swing in the late 1940's just after the world war II.

Those were the days, good people,and no crime. Seems that's gone for ever !.:loopy:

---------- Post added 01-10-2017 at 10:09 ----------

The last time I was down Kent Road the one outside what used to be the Salvation Army Chapel was still there albeit in a very poor state.

It was the Methodist Chapel/Church before the Sally Dash.

That lamp burnt 24/7. Was a good play area after dark, scared all the spooks away, Hi,HI.:gag:

---------- Post added 01-10-2017 at 10:12 ----------

The last time I was down Kent Road the one outside what used to be the Salvation Army Chapel was still there albeit in a very poor state.

It was the Methodist Chapel/Church before the Sally Dash.

That lamp burnt 24/7. Was a good play area after dark, scared all the spooks away, Hi,HI.:gag:

---------- Post added 03-10-2017 at 10:17 ----------

Hi, we had a Sewer Lamp at the corner of Nicholson road and Kent Road in Heeley. We attached 2 ropes and a plank to one of it's arms and used it as a communal swing (in around 1948-1950 +-). (they don't seem to play "Street Games" any more). I lived at 93, Kent road, 50 yards from the lamp.

I live in South Africa now,but visited Kent Road in about 2009 for a very quick look at my old house. The Gas lamp was still there, but all the houses had gone. That lamp burned 27/7. It did not look as if it was still working.

Cheers, Peter.

Edited by Peter Tottle

Here are some photos of the one on Oakland Road.

Sadly this one has now been decapitated! Noticed it last week but not sure when it happened:(

The tops have been taken away for restoration.

Wonder if lindylou has two brothers??

Yes! - do you have two sisters and one brother??!!! If so I think we might be related!

I lived opposite the Sally Army at the top of Kent Hill, and My friends, and I Used to use the one arm of that Methane Gas lamp to attach our swing to. May be we were near to a big explosion !. H Ha.

Does anyone know if any Methane ever did explode ? .

:huh:

I remember there was one on Brincliffe Edge Road that Roger Moffat of Radio Hallam 'adopted'.

He received a call that it was being tampered with and went off to check it out in the middle of his show lol

I lived opposite the Sally Army at the top of Kent Hill, and My friends, and I Used to use the one arm of that Methane Gas lamp to attach our swing to. May be we were near to a big explosion !. H Ha.

Does anyone know if any Methane ever did explode ? .

:huh:

Someone I knew did a study of all the old street lamps in Sheffield and wrote a book about them, he was Peter Frost. I'll see if I can find any information about the book.

The one on the corner of Nicholson Road was always a favourite of ours when we were kids, as you say, it was great for swinging round. We used to chuck snowballs at the old street lamps but, not the methane ones!

Regards,

Duffems

Can't see mention of one that I walked past frequently in the 50s   and 60s.

Bunting Nook which ran alongside Graves Park towards Norton Church. It was probably originally in Derbyshire.

we had a methane gas lamp outside our house on fentonville street where i was brought up in the 1940s

I think there is one on Jenkin Road that is Grade 2 listed.