What makes people really happy?

The big thing that money buys is time, time to do what you want in life, not having to work, being able to have time to enjoy life at your own pace.

If you are unhappy it buys you a better class of misery.

And of course if you have money and are ill as well it will buy you private treatment.

Our dog and my husband (not necessarily in that order). I love our little family more than anything.

Our dog and my husband (not necessarily in that order). I love our little family more than anything.

My sons dog with his beautiful eyes.:thumbsup:

I would have to disagree here and say that a lack of money makes you very unhappy. Not having enough coming in and struggling to pay bills causes a huge amount of stress. You have to work extra hours so you're always tired with little free time to enjoy yourself or spend time with your family/friends. When you get some time you're knackered and can't do half the things you want to do. I've been there and was certainly not happy, and getting more money made me extremely blooming happy!

I would say there's maybe a point at which having more money likely won't increase happiness, but having enough money to be secure in having the basics - a home, food, heating, some time for yourself DEFINITELY makes you happy.

Van kittie, I suppose you are right. However when I was young my mum had 3 of us to bring up on next to nothing. I always remember her being out at work and me looking after my younger siblings. I always got second hand clothes at Xmas and if I was lucky maybe a toy. But I don’t remember being sad, I suppose mum took that burden on because she was always smiling and never let us know how things were.

I just imagine I am lucky because I have had two great careers that I have enjoyed and progressed through each and am at a stage where I can think of retiring to the sun.

Which is really going to make me happy!

I see you stated that you have ‘ been there’. I hope you have come through the other side and things are a little easier for you.

There's only one thing in life you need to make you happy...

I would have to disagree here and say that a lack of money makes you very unhappy. Not having enough coming in and struggling to pay bills causes a huge amount of stress. You have to work extra hours so you're always tired with little free time to enjoy yourself or spend time with your family/friends. When you get some time you're knackered and can't do half the things you want to do. I've been there and was certainly not happy, and getting more money made me extremely blooming happy!

I would say there's maybe a point at which having more money likely won't increase happiness, but having enough money to be secure in having the basics - a home, food, heating, some time for yourself DEFINITELY makes you happy.

I totally agree. I have also struggled to make ends meet and it was a bad time. I am now in a position where I have some savings (not a massive amount by any means) but it means that I am not constantly worrying if something goes wrong with the car / house etc.

I am definitely happier now and less stressed.

On a lighter note, spending time with my family makes me happy, also as someone else has mentioned, getting into a bed with clean sheets.

And eating curry, that makes me happy. :hihi:

---------- Post added 24-03-2018 at 05:20 ----------

Van kittie, I suppose you are right. However when I was young my mum had 3 of us to bring up on next to nothing. I always remember her being out at work and me looking after my younger siblings. I always got second hand clothes at Xmas and if I was lucky maybe a toy. But I don’t remember being sad, I suppose mum took that burden on because she was always smiling and never let us know how things were.

I just imagine I am lucky because I have had two great careers that I have enjoyed and progressed through each and am at a stage where I can think of retiring to the sun.

Which is really going to make me happy!

I see you stated that you have ‘ been there’. I hope you have come through the other side and things are a little easier for you.

Your mum sounds amazing.

It sounds like she had a great work ethic that she passed to you.

And of course i'm not bitter about you retiring to somewhere in the sun :)

Happiness can't be measured. What makes One happy might not make another happy.

looking at the SUN makes me happy, Not because of it's warmth.. Because it is OUR star and it helped make us.

You took the words right out of my mouth.!

And I’m sure a night out with George Clooney would make you happy to.