South Yorks mayoral race.

Are they going to run with just the one if Jarvis doesn’t wish to give up his MP’s seat? I hope that Caborn tells them to swivel if he is asked to run.They could always ask the MP for Hallam to stand, that would get rid of him for good.

Are they going to run with just the one if Jarvis doesn’t wish to give up his MP’s seat? I hope that Caborn tells them to swivel if he is asked to run.They could always ask the MP for Hallam to stand, that would get rid of him for good.

Is there any sign of him returning to life yet, or is he still incapacitated.

Angel1.

Is there any sign of him returning to life yet, or is he still incapacitated.

Angel1.

Back in Parliament. Back doing constituency work.

You should pop in and give the lad a bit of encouragement

The May 3 election is for a "city region" mayor to cover many cities, not just Sheffield.

https://sheffieldcityregion.org.uk/about-us-governance-policy/about-the-mayoral-election/

Including one that already has an elected Mayor.

This really is a massive white elephant and it looks like the labour party are worried that Jarvis will win the nomination given the late changing of the rules.

Im not a labour voter at all but if Dan gets the nod then i'm voting for him. hopefully he will stay in Barnsley and make SCR move there. They have been spending thousands on building works already "for the mayor" in sheffield. Just hope whoever wins likes the Norfolk Arms

Dan Jarvis MP wins . Hows all this going to pan out then ?

Due to the depth of feeling exhibited here on the topic of a mayor for sheffield and the police commissioner should we perhaps first have reforendum about whether we actually want or want to keep either.

What we want is irrelevant. In both cases the Conservative Party decided that the most likely way for them to win power locally in the parts of the country that just don't vote for them in any great numbers was to concentrate some of those powers into a single individual and hope that they could recreate the surprise of a Labour-supporting London voting in a Conservative like Boris Johnson and thereby taking power that they'd never in a million years be able to get in council elections.

And if, as is more likely, they don't win then they've still just created another layer of shielding between themselves and us when it comes to who will be blamed for the cuts and the degrading services that result from ever shrinking budgets.

Er, did we not have a Referendum on it- and voted "No"?

Given the amount of fuss still being raised by those miserable bug...people that failed to get the result they wanted on leaving due to more people that expressed a preference wanting us to leave the EU it would seem that whether or not we had a referendum is irrelevant.

So if I get this right, Dan Jarvis is standing on a ticket of abolishing the Sheffield City Region and annexing Sheffield into the Leeds City Region (aka one yorkshire)?

Dan Jarvis MP wins . Hows all this going to pan out then ?

Labour have done a u-turn and now say that Jarvis can be in both jobs at the same time.

So if I get this right, Dan Jarvis is standing on a ticket of abolishing the Sheffield City Region and annexing Sheffield into the Leeds City Region (aka one yorkshire)?

He seems to be leading on a position of constructive ambiguity and it depends who you ask but he's damning about the creation of the very position he is fighting for:

“The reason that the government wants to force through a Sheffield city region deal is for naked political reasons” (here)

but also said:

"the first item on my agenda will be building a consensus with the four local council leaders and securing that money and those powers" (here)

Kind of reminds me of Corbyn's tactics on the EU!

He seems to be leading on a position of constructive ambiguity and it depends who you ask but he's damning about the creation of the very position he is fighting for:

“The reason that the government wants to force through a Sheffield city region deal is for naked political reasons” (here)

but also said:

"the first item on my agenda will be building a consensus with the four local council leaders and securing that money and those powers" (here)

Kind of reminds me of Corbyn's tactics on the EU!

Exactly, they're both saying we're stuck with something so let's make the most of them.

It's about arithmetic too, and which colour governs Leeds City Region

North Yorkshire = Tory

East Yorkshire = Tory

West Yorkshire = Labour

South Yorkshire = Labour

Greater Yorkshire (N+E+W) = Tory Leeds Mayor

One Yorkshire (N+E+W+S) = Labour Leeds Mayor