Manor Castle Village _ Manor Lane

My grandmother (by adoption) was born in 1865 supposedly in the castle/farm or in the vicinity as her mother was in service. My grandmother died in 1951, I can still vaguely remember her and, there is none of her family left.

Can anyone tell me what was in the Manor Castle area in 1865 or thereabouts please?

The ruins were part of the original village and by all accounts they were demolished by the council with the intention of straightening the road and getting rid of the bad bend. There were two rows of cottages (so I have been told) one row on Manor Lane with the post office etc. and the others behind them accessed through an 'entry' or 'gap'. Further back were the stone-built cottages that are now ruins.

Prior to 1865, the area around the manor castle was walled or fenced off and was a woodland and deer park. Much of the land was owned by the Duke of Norfolk, but some was owned by the Earl of Shrewsbury and the 'Talbot' family. There was very little else apart from woodland, fields and the odd farmhouse. Folklore suggests that there was a tunnel that went from Manor Castle direct to the Sheffield Castle (the only known remains of which are situated under the 'Castle Market').

Thanks for that information shauny1962, very interesting. I often wondered why my grandmother was supposedly born there, I think I'll send for her birth certificate to see what it says for her address, probably nothing like Manor Caslte, you know how family tales get distorted over the years!

Duffems

I lived on Manor Lane in the 50's, I can remember Billy's shop very well. He was always so cheerful.

The viitor manager at the new Discovery Centre at the Manor Lodge has been researching the Manor Castle Village and the families that lived there. There is now a whole section of the displays in the Discovery Centre (which is built on the site of the village itself) devoted to this archive. Anyone wishing to research this further or contribute to the ever growing archive shiould get in touch on 276 2828. There is a specially constructed Community Archive Room in the centre devoted to this.

Hi Martine, All the people you mention I remember very well,Richard,Russ, Panch and myself used to do the London Road run at the weekends. I've not seen Pauline for a long time, I understand she's not very well these days.Hope you are well.

Edited by jack reacher
Wrong thread

My earliest memory of Manor Castle Village is accompaning my older brother as we walked over the fields from The Manor Estate, it was a sunny Sunday morning I think and we were heading for the sweet shop.

I was about 4 years old and I remember feeling it was a medieval scene, in fact it felt very familiar, odd, I can still recall the feeling.

i used to live behind manor castle on the wybourn and spent many an happy hour on the fields and ruins. used to go to billys for 1 cig and match for a penny. when the cottages came empty where berthas were me and friends used to hide in ruins . silly really as there was no floorboards only girders and we walked across them.and further back going on to the fields was very old pig stys that looked like caves .we played in them too

lived in airoplane wybourn oldfarm redhills & castle ruins was our playground HO WISH I COULD GO BACK happy days indeed

they was indeed. we used to call them the black hills on the fields.also the 2 pieces of rock on the hills we used to climb,one looked like a lion and the other like an elephant or so we thought.lol.we used to ride our bikes or in thick snow, sledge on them ,and just below the hills where our house was ,all of us kids on our rd used to have our bonfire on there.it was massive. you,re right ,they were happy days

It’s actual name is Manor Lodge, and it was massive in it’s heyday, it was the home of the Earl of Shrewsbury, who was charged with the retention of Mary Queen of Scots by Queen Elizabeth 1. I well recall the cottages from my childhood, the stone from the lodge has been systematically pillaged over the years. Sheffield City Council have a habit of preserving historic buildings when there is hardly anything left of them.