Understanding the universe.

Flat earthers have self evident truths.

I'm going to set up a crowdfunder for an expedition to the edge of the world. I hope I can count on your donation? It's never been done before.

---------- Post added 23-03-2018 at 00:34 ----------

A good example of two self evident truths that can be easily demonstrated - water cannot conform to the exterior of a ball.

That's demonstrably false, as anyone who has picked up a wet ball can testify.

And the horizon is always flat.

It looks flat - but as even 7 year olds understand - not everything is as it seems - railway lines don't converge, the moon isn't moving behind the trees and it's both a duck and a rabbit.

Go up high enough, and sure enough, the horizon is curved.

Yet we are supposed to believe we can see boats and ships dropping over the claimed curvature.

Spinning Ball earthers have the word of NASA as 'evidence'.

Flat earthers have self evident truths.

This is basically a form of infantile narcissism - like "believing" in the tooth fairy aged 35, because hardly anyone else does (and those who do don't really have critical faculties).

Flat earthism is the most interesting thing about you, and that's why you cling to it.

It's affected, it's transparent and whilst amusing, it also evokes a certain amount of pity I'm afraid.

Edited by Phanerothyme

Mac33,

The objective logic of scientific cognition and the whole range of its classical and modern methods help to unite the sciences and synthesise scientific knowledge. This can be well understood,for any proposition describing nature can be true only if it is an adequate reflection of it. The Flat Earth proposition is false- as the scientific examination of the shape of the earth demonstrates.

Coz it's dark over there when it's light over here:rolleyes:

Why didn't I think of that....has electricity not been invented over there yet? :)

Saw this and thought of you.

Flat-Earther launches DIY rocket http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43550327

The most disturbing thing about this is that there is a flat earth community that funded this nut job. Why don't they fund one of their own to go to the edge of the earth and take a picture? Or a selfie hanging of the edge of it?

Saw this and thought of you.

Flat-Earther launches DIY rocket http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43550327

The most disturbing thing about this is that there is a flat earth community that funded this nut job. Why don't they fund one of their own to go to the edge of the earth and take a picture? Or a selfie hanging of the edge of it?

The scary part is these nutjobs are building things that could explode Oo

Many were increasingly of the opinion that they’d all made a big mistake in coming down

from the trees in the first place. And some said that even the trees had been a bad move,

and that no one should ever have left the oceans.

Douglas Adams, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Other news

The Chinese Space-station will come down within the next few days

The Station will be making an uncontrolled decent, most of it will burn-up in the atmosphere but a large

chunk may hit the earth's surface. The UK should be safe from any debris.

https://www.space.com/40076-chinese-space-station-crash-to-earth-guide.html

Here's one for the flat-earthers & gravity-denyers as well those who hold more conventional views: suppose we have a helium-filled balloon of 30cm diameter. The atmosphere exerts a downward pressure on the top hemisphere of the balloon & an equal & opposite pressure on the bottom hemisphere. Therefore there is no nett upwards force acting on the balloon, yet the balloon does indeed overcome gravity & floats upwards. Any explanations? (in your own words & without reference to other websites).

Here's one for the flat-earthers & gravity-denyers as well those who hold more conventional views: suppose we have a helium-filled balloon of 30cm diameter. The atmosphere exerts a downward pressure on the top hemisphere of the balloon & an equal & opposite pressure on the bottom hemisphere. Therefore there is no nett upwards force acting on the balloon, yet the balloon does indeed overcome gravity & floats upwards. Any explanations? (in your own words & without reference to other websites).

I think you will find that the force on the lower part is in fact greater as the pressure is slightly more due to the increased height of the air column above it.

I think you will find that the force on the lower part is in fact greater as the pressure is slightly more due to the increased height of the air column above it.

Thanks for the reply but I would have thought, given the small size of the balloon, that the difference in pressure would be too small to measure & be negligible.

Helium is less dense than air.

Helium is less dense than air.

Thanks for the reply but I was hoping for an explanation in terms of the specific forces acting on the balloon.