Keep ya boiler on overnight!

The frozen pipe is a v common problem in freezing weather. Am going to lag mine and box it in

What's the best thing to lag it with? I was thinking the same, maybe that foam tube stuff for pipes. Is that suitable for outside? Anyone know?

Mine is a condenser combi but the outlet pipe is internally plumbed into the sink waste pipe so no chance of freezing up.

That's what we had done inside the downstairs toilet because otherwise ours would freeze on a north facing wall.

Mines been on constantly all week, still froze, never known it that bad before

My mains water froze, I didnt think it was that cold either. Its a house built in the 60s, you would have thought all these issues would have been sorted years ago.

What's the best thing to lag it with? I was thinking the same, maybe that foam tube stuff for pipes. Is that suitable for outside? Anyone know?

I don't think I would use it outside as it will abored the wet etc if its exposed try to box the pipe in if possible. ive switched off my boiler and drained the entire boiler

While cold weather is here it is advised to keep your boiler on or your condensing pipe might freeze

While cold weather is here it is advised to keep your boiler on or your condensing pipe might freeze

this doesnt make sense at all...

this doesnt make sense at all...

Why should you turn your boiler/ hot water tank etc. off overnight anyway, it probably cost more energy to start it up again from cold, than to let it stay simmering overnight. I have never tuned a boiler off in my life except to repair or to change. Or am I not understanding the point of the thread? I am confused a little here.

Why should you turn your boiler/ hot water tank etc. off overnight anyway, it probably cost more energy to start it up again from cold, than to let it stay simmering overnight. I have never tuned a boiler off in my life except to repair or to change. Or am I not understanding the point of the thread? I am confused a little here.

the thing is, a condensing boiler omits water,( condensation) this drains into the drains, the pipe is usually external and freezes up, thus the blocked pipe turns off the boiler because the external flow is blocked.....if it wasnt a condensing boiler, then yeah leave it ticking over all the time, this would stop the heating system freezing and busting pipes

I used the largest size foam on the outside pipe ,then covered with a length of plastic gutter and home made steel brackets fixed to the wall!.This waterproofed it and stops the sun drying it out as the foam breaks up if left uncovered,I have had,no problems since touch wood!.

Edited by old tup