Any Motorcyclist from Shiregreen, Wincobank & Firth Park area 1960's

:wink:

I keep seeing a bunch of bikers on Saturday at Meadowhall Retail Park, even at this time of year.

Anyone know who they are?

Sorry for butting in off subject, but I wasn't old enough for a bike in the 60's :wink:

Advanced Motorcycle group.

Advanced Motorcycle group.

That's nice to know :thumbsup:

Edited by Dun graftin

I first started riding bikes in 1958 and never stopped ime 76 now and ride a BMW R1100s a 1450 Harley softail and a 40yr old BMW R80,these days its fine weather only but i dont hang around,me and my wife go to Sherburn and to Willingham Woods,In the 60s we used to go to the Disc Jockey opposite the Locarno and the Flamingo opposite Wif Greens on Abbeydale Rd where i made a lot of friends and some are still around today not on bikes though.Yes went to the Coronation as well and the Squirrel and Smugglers in Hillsboro nowadays its down to SMC in the Wicker to chat to my friends in the shop and have a coffee with the lads outside.Gone are the days when we would ride like loonies between the tramlines down the Moor and Abbeydale Rd up to the Fleur De Lys at totley to watch Ray Stewart etc have a couple of bevies and back to the Mingo for a frothy coffee and a laugh who did what coming back but there were times of sadness when some of us didnt make it.We had some happy times then its not the same now but time changes everything as the saying goes but i wouldnt change anything i have done on bikes i made some good friends and met some fantastic people especially in the 22 times i went to the TT from 1961 wouldnt have missed it for the world.oops forgot to mention i lived on Shirecliffe in the 60s then emigrated to Hillsboro and now meandered to Wickersley where the Harley on open pipes wakes the dead of the village,still a Rocker to the end.

Edited by bullerboY

The place just out outside M/Rasen where all the bikes gather is the large picnic/rest area at Willingham Woods,it's around 50 miles from where i live (S26) and i often go there in summer just for a burger...ride out...Also go over towards Saltfleet when i go to M/thorpe/ ...where the seal sanctuary is...and pop in to the "Ferryboat Inn" for a drink and something to eat ..excellent,quiet, pot hole free roads,lovely scenery,no speed humps...yes it is very enjoyable...:):)

I/We also used to go at w/ends to Skeggy /I/mells taking a tent with us,we used to camp where the eastgate site now is,at that time there were no caravans there it was just a campsite.I don't go thro' Bawtry i head towards Ranskill onto Mattersy etc,the average speed camera's start on the A631 near Gringley and end before you reach Gainsboro,but they don't bother me riding a cruiser,after that there are none up to the east coast.....when i go to Skeggy i go over Dunham bridge..toll free for bikes ...and return past Willingham..excellent ride out....ride safe..:D:D:D

Euclid, that Rasen to Louth road is a bikers dream imho but then Lincolnshire is well noted for them. Back in my m/c days I/we used to holiday in Tattershall around september time, mainly for the fishing but also the cycling.

Many a good straight road in the area, especially on the way to Boston.-- just dont come off on many of them as you'd end up in a roadside drain lol.:hihi:

That said my first falloff was on the track by the second pond up at Aston, Hitting a pothole that had been filled with sand I just stopped dead and flew over the handlbars :loopy:.

Fortunately nothing broken except my pride:rolleyes:.

I still recall it everytime I go up that track !!!!

Hi Readers,

i was just wondering how many Biker's  [ Motorcyclists from the mid early & 60's] Like me are still around ?

I use to ride with Malc Longford , Dougy Otley, & Derek Hill from Wincobank avenue, also Glen Beasley,Jim Parkes...to name a few

My Girl-freind at that time was Susan Marsh from Fife Street Wincobank.. we use to ride to the Coronation Cafe on Langset Road & then back to Wincobank to have the last couple pints at the Sportsman Pub this was mainly in 1967

all these old Pals will obviously now be around their 70's .... i am 69 & still enjoy riding more than ever  😎....bikes that is.. 😉

i would love to hear from anyone who's still around.

We used to go to the Take Five cafe on South Road, Walkley.

Jane 2008,

You may be interested, see post 3.