New owners - Castle Inn

Wow what a let down looking at that menu I give it a year or less even way too expensive still think there on ecclesall road.. I think people want pub food at affordable prices when you go to a pub not fancy gastro meals. :(

I was quite excited until I saw nearly everything has either seafood or black pudding or dripping with it. Which leaves me with rotisserie chicken. <.<

The desserts look to be pricy, and the alcohol very little choice and again overpriced :(

It's not that often I go out for food, but I think I'll be waiting and seeing on this...

Unbelievable negativity from someone who rarely eats out, just from reading a website.

As for the Alcohol comment -It's a pub, I think there'll be plenty of choice!!

Let's give it a chance please.

Unbelievable negativity from someone who rarely eats out, just from reading a website.

As for the Alcohol comment -It's a pub, I think there'll be plenty of choice!!

Let's give it a chance please.

Just to clarify - by rarely, I mean once or twice a month rather than twice a week.

As for the alcohol - I'm only going on what the drinks menu says!

I'd hope there would be more choice - though, I am pleased to see there is a GF option on the beer front.

It's not much more expensive that a 'normal' pub (drinks aren't expensive, it is 2016 after all) and I'm assuming that it will be better quality.

I think its been proven time and again that the Castle is not a viable business as a drinking pub so not surprised that they've gone down the food route.

The menu looks good and I hope they do well.

Interesting. The menu is very much reminiscent of Graze Inn on Ecclesall Road which he ran for Richard Smith - flatbreads, rotisserie chicken and pies. There is time and scope to up the ante.

The menu and pricing is quite Brewkitchen like - those that eat at pubs like the Cricket Inn will probably notice that. (for reference see http://www.cricketinn.co.uk/menu-1/#a-la-carte-menu)

Although seafood aside, much of the mains is traditional pub grub dishes, it Looks quality, everything home made fresh in the kitchen. Remember what they are doing is not bar meals, it is restaurant standard meals served in the more laid back atmosphere a pub offers. In fact from what I can tell, most of the place will be a dining room, just the little tap room on the right will remain as a pub for drinkers.

I do tend to compare prices with the Rutland Arms in town where you have chefs cooking good quality food but without the fancy service and with the dishes sometimes simplified with sensible portion sizes to keep the price reasonable. There main courses tend to be £8-£10 and starter/snack/light meal type dishes tend to be £4-£5. Rutland prices whilst dearer than Wetherspoons or Greene King pubs where everything is either microwaved or fried, they are cheaper than many chain restaurants.

Now compared to the Rutland, the Castle is more expensive. However to pick a chain restaurant example, look at the menu for Damon's at Crystal Peaks. The prices are similar to the Castle, yet the Castle promises much higher quality food. So on that basis the Castle looks quite reasonable. (see http://damons.co.uk/dinner-menu versus http://www.thecastleinnbradway.co.uk/page8.html)

It looks like the drinks menu on the website is basically a restaurant style wine list. They have mentioned on their Facebook page that there will be three real ales - Bradfield Farmers Blonde plus guests.

Edited by Andy C

So on that basis the Castle looks quite reasonable. (see http://damons.co.uk/dinner-menu versus http://www.thecastleinnbradway.co.uk/page8.html)

Not disagreeing with you for one minute Andy, but I'm interested, did you eat at The Castle when the previous couple came in after Craig left last year?

I for one went several times in the run up to the New Year and for food it was doing quite well - more folks eating than I've ever seen. The food standard was excellent, presentation better than many restaurants and portions really good too. But the prices were a world apart, i.e. started off two courses from £6/£8/£10 and their Sunday dinners were just out of this world. I think they've now gone to the Rising Sun, Fulwood if I'm not mistaken and I'm planning a trip up there very soon.

So, all in all, a very hard act to follow and I just can't help thinking how paying 2-3 times as much in the same venue would give me a meal any better...but being local I will give it a try and wish the new owners all the best.

menu looks nice will be trying it very soon, prices are average and the selection looks well balanced. went to Smith & Baker a couple of times and enjoyed it so this should hit the mark. the menu does look very "Graze" like lets hope the food is better.

Prices generaly looks fine to me.

Maybe a bit steep for a pint of wings £14 is a little high. A whole chicken @£24 but with 6 sides, assuming you would share it so £12 each, but everyone knows the price of a chicken. Unless they used a Bresse chicken. It doesn't even state free range etc. £17 for an 8oz rump isn't the cheapest, but it includes the sides. For me it is just its location that is a negative.

Summer house, Cricket, Cross Scythes and now this, plenty of competition for the S17 money!

Midweek offers and events

I'm so pleased that the old owners were un-successful. I visited in late November last year and there were large dogs running off-lead outside, half the inn was closed, the other half was dowdy. The service was slow and the staff were very miserable. I posted a review on their Facebook page but they soon deleted it. Oh well, they can't delete this!! :hihi:

We visited for the first time yesterday, been meaning to try it for ages. You can definitely see the resemblance to the Brewkitchen menu, particularly the burger, fish and chips and rotisserie chicken. Good food, but then again, we always had good meals at The Beauchief.