Best Pubs in terms of interior design/display items

Surely it's a matter of personal taste.

Some people like that, some people don't. Some people might find the pubs that you like to be hideous, but it's purely taste, hence why the thread is impossibly subjective.

As for suggesting you'd need to have more money than sense to drink in a certain bar, that's ridiculous. You pay what you think a product/experience is worth. I've not been so can't comment, but I wouldn't dream of judging people like that.

I'm guessing you haven't seen said light fitting? Couldn't have cost more than a few hundred quid in materials plus maybe a couple of weeks of graft to put it together. Personal taste or not you surely can't tell me that is worth £50K of anyone's money? But the same goes for the overpriced drinks and food served in establishments like the Botanist. Once again it's perceived style over substance. Such things will work in places like Leeds. But I'm not convinced it will in Sheffield. Time will tell.

If that is judging people then guilty as charged. I don't pretend to be holier than thou. A forum is an exchange of opinions and I'm simply giving mine.

I'm guessing you haven't seen said light fitting? Couldn't have cost more than a few hundred quid in materials plus maybe a couple of weeks of graft to put it together. Personal taste or not you surely can't tell me that is worth £50K of anyone's money? But the same goes for the overpriced drinks and food served in establishments like the Botanist. Once again it's perceived style over substance. Such things will work in places like Leeds. But I'm not convinced it will in Sheffield. Time will tell.

If that is judging people then guilty as charged. I don't pretend to be holier than thou. A forum is an exchange of opinions and I'm simply giving mine.

That isn't judging people - that's your opinion on the venue and style, which is fine. As you say, everyone has one and some will disagree (I haven't seen said fitting, so don't know about it)

Judging people however is suggesting that they have more money than sense. Some people might just like that style. Doesn't mean they have no sense.

I don't see why some picture of a woman hardly smiling is priceless, but the world disagrees, and the Mona Lisa is rather popular even though the materials cost a few pounds. Everyone's taste is different. There's many things I think aren't worth what they cost - certain brands of shoes, certain cars etc. Doesn't mean I think those who choose to buy them have more money than sense, just that they have different views to me.

Anyway, I'll have a look at this place next weekend and see what it's like :)

Leaving aside the tittle tattle, I guess that the Tap needs mentioning and I also love the Three Tuns.

Leaving aside the tittle tattle, I guess that the Tap needs mentioning and I also love the Three Tuns.

I'm never a fan of the Ecclesall road "bar" type places. Feel very sterile to me personally.

Not in Sheffield but The Grove in Huddersfield certainly has some interesting artwork.

The Grapes has a nice interior but it's well overdue a careful refurb to make the most of it.

I like Fagan's snug.

White Lion is one of the best as mentioned above.

Barrack Tavern they have made a decent job of preserving and updating.

Red Deer is pretty unspoilt.

Hallamshire House, Commonside.

Edited by Bilge

From what I heard the one in Leeds paid £50K for a feature light fitting. It was basically some ladders strapped together with various current coloured items and bottles suspended from it with bulbs inside. Quite effective. but FIFTY GRAND??? Some people definitely have more money than sense. This is reflected in their usual clientele also.

The best light fitting in the city - Yates nr City Hall