Burngreave Cemetery

Been to Burngreave cemetery today looking for ancestors graves. Didn't find anything but I want to congratulate the people who care for it. "Care" is certainly the right word, the cemetery is immaculate, absolutely beautifully kept. What a change from many cemeteries in Sheffield which are overgrwon and sadly neglected. Is it "The Friends" who keep it so tidy?

If you go on Sunday around 11am you will find some members of the "friends of Burngreave Cemetery. They are extremely helpful, if you need to find the graves of any ancestors they will show you where they are.

My wife who extremely interested in family history spent about 3 hours there.

The maintenance of Burngreave Cemetery has been the responsibility for the past 2 seasons of myself and 1 other colleague.Itcould be improved enormously if we were able to work there through winter and begin to tackle all the self sets which are getting way out of hand. Unfortunately the council only employ us through the grass and hedge cutting season.Thank you for your comment on its appearance.

Oh dear whats happened to this beautiful cemetery, been up to day and its looking like a jungle, its so overgrown!

I was disappointed to find the WW1 memorial did not have any flowers there when we visited on Sunday. Why was the memorial ignored. I have a relative in the Memorial Wall, and it is a beautiful memorial .... " Their names live for evermore". The garden is kept beautifully by the caretakers of the cemetery and as both my hubbie and myself have many relatives there we visit regularly.

Well as a local resident, I would say it's far too overmanaged and overtidied. Cemeteries can be bursting with life - flowers, bees, birds and butterflies, hedgehogs and foxes and fungi and frogs.

Celebrations of the wonder of life and how all life is endlessly recycled into new forms.

Instead, far too often they are lifeless, sterile husks, a world in stasis, trimmed to death by a version of remembrance that denies new life.

Allowing nature to flourish in cemeteries is not "disrespectful" and does not mean they cannot also be places to remember our loved ones and ancestors.

I go to this cemetery about twice a year to tend my grandparents grave unfortunately there don't seem to be any other tended graves immediately around it and I have a job on with gorse bushes and brambles but these graves are often very old so there is no family left to tend them I am very grateful however as I can walk to it from the path safely the grass is always cut back and even as the grave is high up and at the back of the cemetery it can still be reached thankyou to all the friends I am not steady on my feet and this means a lot

I go to this cemetery about twice a year to tend my grandparents grave unfortunately there don't seem to be any other tended graves immediately around it and I have a job on with gorse bushes and brambles but these graves are often very old so there is no family left to tend them I am very grateful however as I can walk to it from the path safely the grass is always cut back and even as the grave is high up and at the back of the cemetery it can still be reached thankyou to all the friends I am not steady on my feet and this means a lot

I agree with Canetoad, we are thankful to the caretakers of this cemetery. Unfortunately, my hubbie found his gt grandparents gravestone toppled over, although surrounded by other stones all still standing. He devoted a lot of time into fixing this and the grave is now immaculate except for the falling leaves. My gt gt granparents are buried at the back of the cemetery and they used to have a stone with inscriptions. This has been removed and the area grassed over and regularly trimmed. Thanks to the Friends of Burngreave Cemetery who keep a record of the inscription of the lost stone. They are open every Sunday and for anyone with Sheffield relatives who passed away during the Victorian and Edwardian eras should research this cemetery if they are investigating their ancestral tree.

Edited by sydneygirl