Crucible Corner

Anyone been in yet? Coffee? Lunch? Evening drinks/meal?

I keep meaning too but keep forgetting it's there when I walk past 'cos there's always a digger in the way (or snow, currently)

I found Ruskins so lifeless that I hope this place does well - I imagine it will instantly be better come the summer and if they ever finish the building the square around it!

But anyone been in already?

we went in a couple of weeks before xmas. It was about 10.30, after a decent coffee. 'We're turned the machine off' (which always annoys me- just turn it on then!)- then while trying to decide what to do, another member of staff comes over and says 'we're going to be calling last orders in 5 minutes.'

I was really disapointed, especially as it was quiet and they really looked like they needed to custom tbh!

I wasn't impressed. It seemed very soulless, even more so than Ruskins did, and wasn't helped by the extra bright lighting. Most of the tables seemed to be reserved, and the Guinness was pretty shoddy. I doubt I'd go back

called in at lunch time last Monday (bank holiday) - it was quite busy with what seemed like the pre-panto crowd ( quite a few excited children!). There were just a couple of tables empty, but both of these were piled with dirty plates and glasses.

The place seems very "clinical" - not very cosy at all, and the noise level was uncomfortable, very echoey & tinny.

We didn't even order anything, the place just didn't feel "right" for a relaxing lunch. Might give it another try though, just to see if it was a one off.

I used to be a regular at the superb little bistro 'Eat' in the Crucible and was very sad to see it close. They did awesome, and reasonably priced, salad and a drink offers at lunch time, but looking at the menu at this place I can't see anything like these. Shame.

Hmmn. Apart from Mdawes review it's not sounding too keen. I will give it a go when next in town centre (anywhere that serves hot drinks in this weather will go some way into winning me over anyway ;) ) but will have a look at the menu too.

When the courtyard/squarey thing is all finished it could be lovely so I hope it works out.

I went to Crucible Corner again last night, after a very disappointing first try when it first opened.

I was hoping it was going to be a better experience but that was not going to happen. First of all the menu was shocking, for some reason they only had their specials menu and not the full standard menu, though it would appear some people were ordering items from the normal menu even though this was not offered to us.

The food took an age to arrive, though I do appreciate it is freshly cooked, waiting forty five minutes is too long especially when the restaurant is not that busy. Items of food were missing, though I didn’t mention anything as I thought I had read the menu incorrectly. Other diners also had items of food missing and the shocking thing is that the waiters seemed completely unsure what should arrive with the food and was checking the menus.

I had a mozzarella tart which was very bland as I had no potatoes with it, I ended ordering the fish finger sandwich which was basically home made fingers slapped together in bread, no side garnish or anything. As we had no standard menu it felt you could not ask for anything like chips.

At no point did anyone ask if we wanted any other drinks or if everything was fine with the meal.

Once we was in the Lyceum, they had copies of the full menu and people in the party were extremely upset as there were items on the menu that were more appetising then on the special menu.

It is a real shame, I am writing this, as I want the restaurant to succeed as the food is fresh, homemade and can be tasty.

I do think Sheffield Theatres really need to pull there act together as I won't be going again after two bad experiences and it has been open long enough to get their act together.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/food/The-stage-is-set-for.5872916.jp

Coffee machines take time to set up and I wouldn't want a cup from one until it's been going at least 10 minutes.

Ruskins, a wine bar? That never really got off the ground? They didn't seem to do too much wine. And was always busy when I went. Just a shame the vandalism of the square outside seemed to kill it.

Glad something's opened in its place - it's a handy location for lunch. Will give it a go and see what's what.

If you can sit outside in summer I will give it a go on my way to the station. Although seems a long way off! brrrrrrr

Guest makapaka

We went in between Xmas and New Year and I liked it.

If you want cosy pub don't go but its bright and modern and I can't think of anywhere else like it in town.

They've carpeted bits of it now which makes it warmer than Ruskins was.

The beer was nice - didn't eat there though so can't comment on food.

Think people should give it a chance because it needs Tudor square to be up and running properly to get more in and a bit of atmosphere. Its still a building site on the front at the minute.

Went there for lunch today, 24.6.10. They failed to send out everything we ordered, rectified this fairly quickly but then chased us as we left claiming we hadn't paid for the missing food (we had). They backed down, but this was poor service on two counts so we weren't impressed. Won't be going back, there are enough better places to eat in Sheffield!