The Cocked Hat - Attercliffe

Does anyone still go in the cocked hat these days?, i havent been in for a while and just wondered if its still any good. used to be able to get a really nice pint of burton bitter there

Its nowhere near as good as it was I'm afraid.

You might get a half decent pint of Pedigree or Burton Bitter on a good day, but they don't bother with any other ales under the new management, and the two they have very often aren't on.

Never tried the 'new' food but it looks OK for the money (if you like everything with chips) and they serve it all afternoon.

If they have ale on its OK, but not worth going out of your way for.

The Carlton on Attercliffe Road still has a good selection of beers.

thats a shame, i remember the chap when i worked at yorkshire cable who could barely see over the bar!

Is Burton bitter slang for a alternativesexual antic ?? im married and happy but curious about your liking of Burton bitter as i used to work for marstons...

thats a shame, i remember the chap when i worked at yorkshire cable who could barely see over the bar!

:D

Unfortunately Tony gave it up about 6 months ago. His father had the pub before him, they had it 25 years and it was in the Good Beer Guide for a looong time (although that will come to an end now). :(

http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/foodguide/Family-calls-time-on-25.3969718.jp

The only Marston's house in Sheffield I believe.

Does anyone know what is happening with the cocked hat? It was closed all last week, even when Rotherham were at home it was all locked up with lights off? Hoping it's not another pub business that has gone under. :(

Yeah not same as when Ant had it, but I usually go in most days on my lunch, but been closed for a bit now.

Not been in for some weeks due to the fact it had gone downhill and I lost interest.

One of the things that differentiated it from the other boozers in Attercliffe (The Carlton excepted) was the well kept selection of real ales. At one time it had about 8 handpumps. By removing them (and replacing it with some hideous smooth flow bitter) it seemed that the punters who went there for that reason stopped bothering.

It would be sad to see a proper boozer like the Cocked Hat close, but I've heard that this is the case as well.

The latest Pub News from the Sheffield branch of CAMRA seems to think the same:

"The Cocked Hat at Attercliffe discontinued real ale not long after Anthony left, and we have therefore removed the pub from the Good Beer Guide. We have heard reports that the pub has since closed."

http://www.sheffieldcamra.co.uk/Pub%20news.htm

Well i know running a pub isnt easy these days, but they didnt exactly last long did they. When i did go in there recently they had burton bitter on and i asked what about the other ales. they just said "they didnt work". Lets hope its get opened up by a new tennant who knows about real ale and puts some good oners back on (even if they are mostly marstons!)