Thailand Cave Rescue.

Praying that they get the kids out alive.

Time is against them.

I think the whole world is praying that they get them out alive.

Why did their coach take them deep into the cave?

hope there is a happy ending for these boys.

As the water level is not rising at present, thank goodness, I just wonder why a battery of high pressure pumps can't pump the water out, allowing the trapped guys to walk out.

It must be an awful position to be in, and it's in the rainy season which will not help a rescue if the rains start again.

Even an experienced diver ran out of air the other day and lost his life while delivering supplies to the trapped school boys.

To lose your life while attempting to help others is the ultimate accolade I think. RIP to the Diver.

Angel1.

As the water level is not rising at present, thank goodness, I just wonder why a battery of high pressure pumps can't pump the water out, allowing the trapped guys to walk out.

It must be an awful position to be in, and it's in the rainy season which will not help a rescue if the rains start again.

Even an experienced diver ran out of air the other day and lost his life while delivering supplies to the trapped school boys.

To lose your life while attempting to help others is the ultimate accolade I think. RIP to the Diver.

Angel1.

They are already pumping it out but any rainfall (a lot is forecast over the coming days) undermines their efforts.

Im guessing the fact theyre so far in (approx 4km) is the main difficulty. I read somewhere that its a 5 hour swim for even the most experienced divers.

Sorry for the diver who lost his life, I didn’t know. I’m not sure if it’s an option for them to wait till the rainy season is over.

Angel1.

Indeed. A very brave man, sadly lost.

It also shows what a dangerous predicament these boys are in. Especially if it involves a 5 hour stint underwater with breathing apparatus, and these boys can't even swim.

I can only assume they were forced further and further back into the cave system by rising flood water. Personally, I would go for drilling a shaft if possible to get them out that way. But whatever they decide I'm praying they all get out safely.

RIP to the courageous diver. Let's hope there are no more casualties.

this is now getting reported as a major full scale story but it took a while to get going. The very similar Chilean miners store back in 2014 got more attention. Even though the stricken here are children, when they are not white and from what for most people is a rather strange foreign culture, it just doesn't find its way to the top of the news so naturally.

these suspenseful will-they-or-won't-they-make-it kind of news stories have some claim to being the best of the lot. They can be front page news for weeks. As to whether or not they will make it, I have no idea really what their chances are and neither does anybody else.

I've been following it on the Thai English language sites. Apparently it wasn't a one off thing that the youth leader decided to do just like that, as if on a whim. It's an annual tradition that the team do every year.

Edited by blake

I would go for drilling a shaft if possible to get them out that way.

I think the problem with that idea is that they'd first need a road to transport the drilling equipment up the hillside.

no the problem with that idea is that the rocks are all wrong for drilling a shaft. It won't work. It is not like Chile. They have got to get the lads out pretty much the same way they came in.

I read there is a stream that feeds into the caves during rain, cant they divert it away?

I can't help thinking that there's a football coach whose contract will not be renewed, once he's reached the surface and can be presented to his employers. Taking the children in a cave during the start of the rainy season by himself was, at best, a daft thing to do.

My idea of getting the boys out quickly would be to look at sinking ring guides into important points at the areas where there's a change of direction on dryer parts of the caves, and literally using a rope to drag the boys from one ring to another, speeding up their own, possibly very slow, attempts at swimming. It would take a quite large team of burly adults, but after a couple of weeks sitting on a small rock ledge the poor boys aren't going to have the muscle power to swim for that long, are they?

I read there is a stream that feeds into the caves during rain, cant they divert it away?

Depends on the geography, Niagara Falls flow can be controlled even though it is fed by one of the fastest running rivers in the World, but that took years to build and perfect the sluices. When you are talking about people trapped so far inside the type of terrain shown. It would take too long to construct a solid dam like structure, and we hear tIme is not on the trapped people's side.