What has formed your views?

I remember in my childhood watching 'Star Trek', and I am sure it was very influential in its time.

The crew of the Enterprise was racially mixed, the ship had to be interracial because it represented all of mankind.

There was much more racism back in 1966, when it was first shown; the show was very much ahead of its time.

I am sure we all have other influences. I am a Liberal Democrat, LDs are said to be more into science fiction then members of other political parties.

I can immagine many Conservatives would enjoy the TV program, Yes Minister, more so than Labour voters. UKIP voters maybe like it too.

Your thoughts please.

You are indeed a LD.

I am a LD too. I like LD things. You can tell I'm a LD by my views.They are LDs views.

I have a Labour friend who has been a union rep and learnt lots of left wing ideas from being a union rep, it seems common in Labour ranks.

I can honestly say , when I watched Star Trek , I watched a good tv programme . The racial / gender mix , meant nothing to me . Just a good entertainment . Sorry didn't read the OP properly :blush:

Edited by hackey lad

I read 'Pride and Prejudice' when I was about eleven or twelve so possibly that particular book.

I remember watching and then reading Roots and wondered how cruel man/woman can be :(

Growing up in a deprived area in the late 70s and 80s when Thatcher was on the rampage. For years that translated into strong support for Labour but I gave up on them too, almost 10 years ago now. I vote for what I most believe in and the Greens have had my vote for many of those last 10 years.

---------- Post added 10-06-2018 at 00:06 ----------

I remember watching and then reading Roots and wondered how cruel man/woman can be :(

Many people have the capability to be sadistic and cruel, even today

yet you decided to vote tory :D

I read 'Pride and Prejudice' when I was about eleven or twelve so possibly that particular book.

Has 'Pride and Prejudice' had any cultural impact, or perhaps it was just a book of history?

Star Trek cultural impact goes far beyond its longevity and profitability.

Star Trek conventions have become popular among its fans, who call themselves "trekkies". Captain Kirk's and Lt. Uhura's kiss, in the episode "Plato's Stepchildren", was also daring, and is often mis-cited as being American television's first scripted, interracial kiss. Dr. Martin Luther King was a big fan of Star Trek.

Computer engineer and entrepreneur Steve Wozniak credited watching Star Trek and attending Star Trek conventions while in his youth as a source of inspiration for him co-founding Apple Inc.

---------- Post added 10-06-2018 at 01:13 ----------

I can honestly say , when I watched Star Trek , I watched a good tv programme . The racial / gender mix , meant nothing to me . Just a good entertainment . Sorry didn't read the OP properly :blush:

If you were a young person at the time, it does just seem normal.

As a young child I read Kingsley's Water Babies. I've never forgotten 'Mrs Do As You Would Be Done By'. Not a bad tenet to live life by.

Like I1l23 we lived in a deprived area in the early 70s when we first moved to South Yorkshire. With young children, we realised if we wanted to improve their situation, we both needed to work. No one was looking out for us, except us.

Edited by Ms Macbeth

In general I have found that the theory you believe in often gets disproved by real life.

That your views on life are shaped by your experiences of it, I suppose.