Cost of British holidays

Is it just me, or has the cost of holidays in Britain gone right up?

Due to circumstances, we're forced to holiday in Britain for the next few years and it seems to me that they now charge more for a weekend, or three or four nights than they used to charge for a whole week. Even caravans are charging 4 to 5 hundred a week.

On top of that everything seems to be a complete rip off. Cost of entertainment, food, visitor attractions etc seem to cost the earth for not very much. Add to that the chance of being rained on all week, and it doesn't seem a very inviting experience.

There's just the two of us, (and the dog,) one of us a bit disabled at the moment. How do families afford it? Anybody got any ideas?

I holiday twice a year in the UK and have done for decades can't see much difference tbh.

Part weeks are nearly as expensive as a full week because they still have to do the same cleaning etc for it.I'm paying £15 less for a 4 day break than i would for a 7 night break in September,they can't usually rent out the rest of the week so the'yd be making more of a loss.

The weathers involvement isn't anything to do with the cost - you live in the UK, you get the UK weather you can't change that.

I've just spent a £1000 for a week in the UK for 6 of us,which i found to be pretty good value for the quality we're getting.

How long since you previously holidayed in the UK Anna? Prices do go up, inflation. And perhaps UK holidays are seeing higher demand due to the exchange rate having made continental holidays even more expensive.

I have never thought British holidays were cheap. They are only cheap if you go caravanning or camping with your own van. I used to really enjoy holiday in the UK as a child but I found them expensive.

Holidays abroad have got much better value ie cheaper in real terms over the last thirty four years. I have noticed prices go up this year in peak season for holidays abroad, haven't looked in the UK this year properly other than a quick internet search to compare for a friend. Mid season is very good value abroad.

If you can get insurance you may still be able to travel abroad. I have had elderly friends and relatives travel abroad who were not mobile and awaiting operations.

---------- Post added 04-06-2018 at 09:33 ----------

Due to circumstances, we're forced to holiday in Britain for the next few years and it seems to me that they now charge more for a weekend, or three or four nights than they used to charge for a whole week. Even caravans are charging 4 to 5 hundred a week.

On top of that everything seems to be a complete rip off. Cost of entertainment, food, visitor attractions etc seem to cost the earth for not very much. Add to that the chance of being rained on all week, and it doesn't seem a very inviting experience.

There's just the two of us, (and the dog,) one of us a bit disabled at the moment. How do families afford it? Anybody got any ideas?

Out of interest, how much would it cost you for travel, accommodation, food and spending money for a week in the UK. I'm interested to see how this compares to my experience abroad.

I agree it's deff more expensive to holiday over here than abroad ,last year I paid less for ten nights in Majorca than what it would have cost for seven nights in a caravan in Blackpool

I holiday twice a year in the UK and have done for decades can't see much difference tbh.

Part weeks are nearly as expensive as a full week because they still have to do the same cleaning etc for it.I'm paying £15 less for a 4 day break than i would for a 7 night break in September,they can't usually rent out the rest of the week so the'yd be making more of a loss.

The weathers involvement isn't anything to do with the cost - you live in the UK, you get the UK weather you can't change that.

I've just spent a £1000 for a week in the UK for 6 of us,which i found to be pretty good value for the quality we're getting.

Does that £1,000 include all other expenses; travel, parking, entertainment etc? Did you cook your own food, eat out at snack places or Restaurants? I'm only asking out of curiosity. I have been going to the same place abroad for the last fourteen years and always ask everyone how much they spend to see how we compare on the spending scale. We seem to be quite average for where we holiday but prices did go up when the country joined the EU.

I agree it's deff more expensive to holiday over here than abroad ,last year I paid less for ten nights in Majorca than what it would have cost for seven nights in a caravan in Blackpool

I agree too. We have holidayed abroad for many years. I periodically check prices here and abroad and I think it is a total rip-off here.

I think it depends on your holiday type - I've done the Greek Islands,Egypt and Turkey. Average price for a holiday in school holidays £300-400 per person self catering per week,then food and car hire and touring costs,(petrol,car parking are extras as well)

Egypt was astronomically expensive for day trips etc,Crete was comparatively cheap.

I book(usually an isolated cottage in the UK) that takes up to 6 and 4 dogs - although normally its 2 of us and 2 dogs in the place.I don't want neighbours or shared access - so i pay a premium.

As an example this years venue - is in 23 acres of its own fields,breakfasts and a couple of evening meals (for 6)are included along with spa and pool at a nearby 4* venue. And we can take 5 dogs.We're two miles from the nearest neighbour.

Last year i paid £600 for an isolated cottage in the sand dunes 100 yards from the sea.

cant remmeber the last time i went on holiday lol

I airbnb or just get hotel deals with the usual websites. Much cheaper than renting a caravan.

As for visitor attractions, get a National Trust or English Heritage membership when there's a deal on.

I think it depends on your holiday type - I've done the Greek Islands,Egypt and Turkey. Average price for a holiday in school holidays £300-400 per person self catering per week,then food and car hire and touring costs,(petrol,car parking are extras as well)

Egypt was astronomically expensive for day trips etc,Crete was comparatively cheap.

I book(usually an isolated cottage in the UK) that takes up to 6 and 4 dogs - although normally its 2 of us and 2 dogs in the place.I don't want neighbours or shared access - so i pay a premium.

As an example this years venue - is in 23 acres of its own fields,breakfasts and a couple of evening meals (for 6)are included along with spa and pool at a nearby 4* venue. And we can take 5 dogs.We're two miles from the nearest neighbour.

Last year i paid £600 for an isolated cottage in the sand dunes 100 yards from the sea.

I was thinking about the added expense of eating out in the UK. It sounds like you holiday similarly to us. We have rented cottages or stayed in B&Bs in the UK, admittedly not for some time due to price. We used to go long haul too but now we run our own business we holiday in Bulgaria so we can still keep in touch by phone and email.

In Bulgaria flights cost approx. £250 per person but this year have gone up considerable in peak time. They are cheaper if you book in advance or late deals. You can go B&B in an hotel later this month for less than £250, add on full board for another £140.

Studios and apartments can vary but you can get a small apartment for four or five people for £150 per week. If you want the luxury end of the market, large apartment, two bedrooms, two bathrooms etc that rises to anywhere between £300-500 per week peak season.

We eat out every night but have asked many families of four or five how much they spend. The average seems to be £50 per day for all food, drink, entertainment and transport, including the airport transfers.

We have just come back and 0.5L local beer is £1.30 in a restaurant, wine puts the price up quite a lot. Two course meals with beer or a bottle of wine were costing us anywhere between £17 to £24 for two people. That's for good quality food cooked fresh, not the snack bars.

cant remmeber the last time i went on holiday lol

What! Your going cruising in the next few weeks.