Sign in to follow this  

Sheffield Council is doing well

Guest Guest

The council is classed as "good" in the Comprehensive Performance Assessment by the Audit Commission. Out of four, Sheffield scored three in education, housing and benefits and two in social care and leisure. It scored just one in environment.

I'm not surprised they got 1 in environment - the city is so littered.

It's not just the litter that has led to the council getting a low score for the environment. Sheffield is home to the most polluting incinerator in the country at Bernard Road and a toxic waste dump at Shirecliffe. We have one of the worst recycling rates in the country.Our environmental record is so atrocious it dosen't deserve the score of 1! I think we need some Green Councillors to wake the old parties out of their complacency.

Graham

Guest Guest

what a load of time wasters this council is,they can not be bothered to send gritters out on the roads,they dont even look after their own property.....eg.. council houses,education is rubbish,and they have the cheek to put council tax up

Guest Guest

Mind, if Sheffield council gets it's way there wont be anymore council houses, they will be run by housing assoc. and full of immigrants! :evil:

Hmmmm, Sheffield city Council, my best friends, I think not. I went to the auction in october of council property. Scary, they may well pay off a teeny bit of their debts but they lose annuall incomes, they sell buildings given to them, they let places be ripped apart and knocked down and all the while quite clearly wasting much of the money they are getting from these huge sales. It was very sad to see southern men in suits and a large overseas turnout of the people who now own most of the city, not much of Sheffield belongs to Sheffield now.

I agree about the litter too, it's such a mess everywhere, especially in studenty areas, if no ones clearing it up they could at least put more bins in the streets. Also, they should take there much loved (another costly desiscion) super tram up to the areas that the people in big cars live in. A tram to ecclesall raod, maybe a park and ride in Ecclsall or broomhill would get rid of some traffic fumes.

There might be a lot you dont agree with the council about and I admit there is some cause for concern, However, I cannot see that the council is responsible for litter in the city, the litter is thrown down by people who should know better.

You have mentioned a lot of the rubbish is found in student areas, these educated young people aught to know different. Is it beyond their intelligence to put it in their pocket and take it home???

We were alway's taught to use a litter bin( there are plenty around )or take it with us, it only need's a little thought instead of throwing on the floor. This a problem that affect's everyone and everyone should play their part. :(:(:(

I'm an 'educated young person' and I was always taught to take my litter home (which I do). While I agree with you that littering is the fault of those people (whether students or otherwise) who are too lazy and inconsiderate to take their rubbish home, I also feel that it is the responsibility of the Council to clear up after those people so that the rest of us do not suffer. That's why we pay council tax. So if there is litter around then the Council is failing.

Originally posted by "lily"

I also feel that it is the responsibility of the Council to clear up after those people so that the rest of us do not suffer. That's why we pay council tax. So if there is litter around then the Council is failing.

You stand on Fargate at 8:00am and you'll see the Council's Streetforce workers sweeping up all the litter, emptying the bins etc. I'm sure this happens in other parts of the city centre too - I've certainly seen them cleaning on West Street in the mornings.

But look again a couple of hours later, and the street's anckle deep in rubbish.

Maybe the solution's for the City Centre Ambasidors to start either sweeping up, or enforcing the fines that we're threatened with if we drop litter on the street.

(as an aside - why are the notices about not dropping litter fixed to the bins? surely people stood by a bin aren't the ones who are going to drop litter anyway?)

It is also the council's responsibility to educate young people, starting at primary level, about the importance of litter control.

Deal with the cause, not always the symptom.

Cheer's El Duderino,

I agree with you, surely the power's that be know this as well, so why dont they do it then??? :(:(:(

Litter & graffitti is the No.1 scourge on this city at the moment.As the city gets more shops & food outlets the problem will inevitably get worse irrespective of any educational program that the council may promote.In economic terms,the more litter a council sweeps up the more vibrant that area is seen to be.Therefore the council needs to put in the required resources that is needed to deal with the problem.

I was amazed in my first year studying in Portsmouth to see the place full of people giving the city centre a 'spring clean' in the run up to Summer - going round jet-washing everywhere. Just because Sheffield is not perceived as a tourist city in the same way as Portsmouth doesn't mean it shouldn't receive at least some of this sort of respect. If the council ensured a good 'base' level of cleanliness that would give a yardstick to keep the city clean to. It seems logical (perhaps a bit too logical for our powers that be!) to enforce laws that can punish those who spoil the city with litter and graffiti by making them clean up the damage they and others have done. Fines (if used) are a start, but those with little money can not pay large fines whereas small fines don't act as a deterrant those with more money.