Information about O2 Academy

Hi Im looking for some information about the O2 academy in Sheffield, the one that used to be a nightclub. My son is going to a concert on Saturday and wants to get a good view of the stage, what I want to know is is there only one stage and is it best to be upstairs or downstairs, its general admission so I think he can stand in either. Ive tried looking for a plan of the inside but cant seem to find one, thanks.

Its not a huge venue (2K it holds for gigs?) and pretty much everywhere is a good place to see the stage.. If he wants to be up front and personal, get there early and stand near the barriers and dont leave!

Edit:

If the upstairs is open, it will only be open for people whove purchased tickets to be there.

It can get a bit lively downstairs at some gigs so at my age, I prefer to go upstairs where the view and sound are excellent. Tickets are usually general admission, so you can choose where to go on entry. If your son is not very tall, he might prefer the view upstairs but it probably won't be as much fun!

Thanks for your replies hes going to get there nice and early so hopefully he should be ok.

I've never been to a gig there where you can go upstairs with general admission, there's always been security stopping you. This includes big gigs like Hot Chip, Vampire Weekend and Kasabian

I've never been to a gig there where you can go upstairs with general admission, there's always been security stopping you. This includes big gigs like Hot Chip, Vampire Weekend and Kasabian

I was upstairs at VW and Kasabian, while my children were downstairs. We all had the same tickets.

Its not a huge venue (2K it holds for gigs?) and pretty much everywhere is a good place to see the stage.. If he wants to be up front and personal, get there early and stand near the barriers and dont leave!

Edit:

If the upstairs is open, it will only be open for people whove purchased tickets to be there.

It's now free flow! if u want to go on the balcony u can (if it's open)

As the first reply said its not that big a venue and so pretty much anywhere is an ok view. I went to see The manic Street preachers there last year and we got a spot near the crew (lighting etc) in the middle and was nice view of the stage.

Hope your son enjoys the gig

Guest sibon

I've never been upstairs, but I've heard it said that the view is only any good if you are at the front.

The view from anywhere downstairs is pretty good, so you can hang around near the back and still see well. For me, it is the best standing venue in Sheffield.

I'm always a first in line fangirl so I can only comment on barriers, they hurt, and I wouldn't recomend it for kids.

But you do get a great view -> from saturday at O2