Going out Vs staying in

In the interests of poking the wasp nest I'll say...

Pubs and bars, who in their right mind wants to pay triple the odds for flat/fizzy/cold/warm drinks (delete to taste) to sit in a 70's design nightmare old man stinking armpit or sterile trendy cliche individualism bar.

Clubs, who wants to queue in the rain to pony up £10 to go look at all the other beautiful/disgusting people and stand on a sticky floor in a conversation blackspot.

Restaurants, who wants to be sneered at by snooty waiting staff and served expensive unloved cooking before being rushed to leave so the next sausages can get pushed through the machine...?

I dont suppose you look like George Clooney do you ?:rolleyes:

Why do you have to spoil every thread you post on with chitchat and trivia?

Why do you have to spoil every thread you post on with chitchat and trivia?

ha i was going to suggest that there were dating sites for this but though I'd let sleeping dogs lie. Anyway, back on topic, anyone?

I like people watching when I go out - so if you ever see a strange bloke staring at you it could be me. I usually have a clipboard for making notes and a pencil behind one ear.

When I stay in I'm not so keen on people watching, because I've seen them all before and know everything about them. So I put the clipboard down, except when I'm having my tea and then I use it as a tray. I leave the pencil behind my ear though all the time because I think it makes me look attractive.

I am a very interesting person and I can't understand why more people don't talk to me. :huh:

I usually have a clipboard for making notes and a pencil behind one ear.

I am a very interesting person and I can't understand why more people don't talk to me. :huh:

Those damned street charity workers have spoilt clipboards for interesting users like yourself. Most people's default response to a clipboard is give it a wide birth and if they are forced to go near it mumble something about being busy and scurry away. I agree regarding people watching, i often watch myself when i'm at home but even on the rare occassion i do something interesting there is no one to tell about it.

After years of trying to have a lovely evening out in a restaurant, we've given up and now have have lovely evenings at home. Here we can enjoy the music we want, rather than music chosen by the restaurant staff & play it at the level we are comfortable with. We can eat with the people we like, knowing that no-one will shriek at the top of their voices. We won't have someone else's children running around the table, tired, crying and badly behaved. We can eat the food we enjoy and know what goes into the ingredients and the cooking. We can be confident that everything is clean & hygienic & we won't end up with the squits. We can drink wine that doesn't have a 300% mark-up & is actually drinkable. Our meal cooked at home won't cost us 2 day's wages.

Why, given the above, would we ever eat out again?

After years of trying to have a lovely evening out in a restaurant, we've given up and now have have lovely evenings at home. Here we can enjoy the music we want, rather than music chosen by the restaurant staff & play it at the level we are comfortable with. We can eat with the people we like, knowing that no-one will shriek at the top of their voices. We won't have someone else's children running around the table, tired, crying and badly behaved. We can eat the food we enjoy and know what goes into the ingredients and the cooking. We can be confident that everything is clean & hygienic & we won't end up with the squits. We can drink wine that doesn't have a 300% mark-up & is actually drinkable. Our meal cooked at home won't cost us 2 day's wages.

Why, given the above, would we ever eat out again?

Great thanks rosyrat, just because you've called something the french name and put in flavour of the month ingredients doesnt mean i want to pay the earth for what I'm perfectly capable of putting together at home, sans the Jones and their (I wonder where they learnt that) screaming kids and the snobby staff with what have we got too much of based wine recommendations.

BUT

Is there something to be said for trying new things, relaxing knowing that the success of the evening lies with someone else and the joy of indulging when that pays off. When you find something you never would've dreamt of or understood how to create but now its part of your palette? Or similarly you hear a new artist you like and it prompts you to look them up and enjoy endless times back home. Surely going out can only add to staying in?

Is there something to be said for trying new things, relaxing knowing that the success of the evening lies with someone else and the joy of indulging when that pays off. When you find something you never would've dreamt of or understood how to create but now its part of your palette? Or similarly you hear a new artist you like and it prompts you to look them up and enjoy endless times back home. Surely going out can only add to staying in?

You're right, of course. I have a real yearning for that special evening out, where the ambience is just right, the food a creation by someone who knows the perfect blend of fresh ingredients and the whole thing a sublime experience. But how much dross do I have to endure in order to find these things? And is it worth all the ruined evenings? To use your analogy, it's like trailing round galleries for years, staring at photos of female tennis players scratching their bums and stylised tsunami waves in the hopes you'll finally get to see a Renoir.

Why go through all these disappointments (and pay an arm and a leg for them) when you can guarantee a perfect time at home?

You're right, of course. I have a real yearning for that special evening out, where the ambience is just right, the food a creation by someone who knows the perfect blend of fresh ingredients and the whole thing a sublime experience. But how much dross do I have to endure in order to find these things? And is it worth all the ruined evenings? To use your analogy, it's like trailing round galleries for years, staring at photos of female tennis players scratching their bums and stylised tsunami waves in the hopes you'll finally get to see a Renoir.

Why go through all these disappointments (and pay an arm and a leg for them) when you can guarantee a perfect time at home?

It's a strong case. Any fans of going out want to pick up the gauntlet?

To use your analogy, it's like trailing round galleries for years, staring at photos of female tennis players scratching their bums and stylised tsunami waves in the hopes you'll finally get to see a Renoir.

Can you paint Renoir's at home?! ;)

Can you paint Renoir's at home?! ;)

Renoir never produced any "painting by numbers" books. If he did, then it would be worth staying home I'm sure - and he would probably have been even more famous!

I like going out because I can keep myself updated on lots of things - like the new places that have opened up, the old places that have closed down. The things that young 'uns get up to these-days, that the old 'un's would still love to get up to. That kind of thing.

I found myself on West Street one saturday night and I was astonished to learn that outer clothing had been banned. Even though it was cold the street was full of hardy lasses who were bracing the cold in very little clothing actually. There was one young lady in a very short backless dress, low cut at the front and she looked absolutely freezing. I offered her my anorak to keep her warm but she was too proud, I think, to accept. Either that or it seems that they can keep warm by screaming and shouting and wandering into the road. Fascinating!