Time to Return to Old Teaching Methods?

A study undertaken by the Education Endowment Foundation (EEF) has found improvement in GCSE students learning abilities improved by using slate boards & chalk as opposed to using more modern technology of interactive whiteboards, i-pads etc. Those who were the least academically gifted, benefited the most.

Given that I saw a Look North report a few months ago where Chinese teachers were invited into a Yorkshire school to teach pupils maths using Chinese methods, basically the old rote method, is it time we went back to previous methods of teaching?

A study undertaken by the Education Endowment Foundation (EEF) has found improvement in GCSE students learning abilities improved by using slate boards & chalk as opposed to using more modern technology of interactive whiteboards, i-pads etc. Those who were the least academically gifted, benefited the most.

Given that I saw a Look North report a few months ago where Chinese teachers were invited into a Yorkshire school to teach pupils maths using Chinese methods, basically the old rote method, is it time we went back to previous methods of teaching?

Different people have different learning styles. Even though rote learning was the thing when I was at primary school I never leaned maths, or anything else, by rote.

There might be an argument for supporting different teaching styles but switching everyone to rote learning would simply replace a system that doesn't suit some pupils with one that doesn't suit others.

Since pupils, or their parents, choose schools on best GCSE results, the schools with the best results will always flourish.

It is a shame that your education didn't help you to look at reports before mis-reporting them on here.

The study actually was about getting all students to present an answer to the teacher simultaneously as opposed to putting hands up and/or just one students being chosen to respond.

Some used a slate & chalk to write an answer to be presented, some used mini white boards & marker ... a pen and paper would have served the purpose equally well ... as would a high tech classroom where students can type answers that teacher can see on his/her console.

It was the ability for the less confident people to show, anonymously, what they thought an answer was to the teacher that allowed more effective teaching and intervention.

https://educationendowmentfoundation.org.uk/news/real-time-knowledge-can-boost-pupils-grades-by-two-months/

Edited by cgksheff

It is a shame that your education didn't help you to look at reports before mis-reporting them on here.

The study actually was about getting all students to present an answer to the teacher simultaneously as opposed to putting hands up and/or just one students being chosen to respond.

Some used a slate & chalk to write an answer to be presented, some used mini white boards & marker ... a pen and paper would have served the purpose equally well ... as would a high tech classroom where students can type answers that teacher can see on his/her console.

It was the ability for the less confident people to show, anonymously, what they thought an answer was to the teacher that allowed more effective teaching and intervention.

https://educationendowmentfoundation.org.uk/news/real-time-knowledge-can-boost-pupils-grades-by-two-months/

Totally agree.

Nothing old or traditional about either.

The chalk board. It does work -with, as always some limitations. Holding up simple coloured cards representing answers also works. There are loads of variations.

There are some very modern Chinese methods being "sold" at the moment- eg Shanghai Maths Project.

My children are being taught times tables by rote, this takes up a large amount of their school time, as does producing joined up handwriting and correct grammar. Can someone please explain how this is going to give them an advantage when they eventually enter a labour market where automation of jobs is rife and no one handwrites anything other than short notes?

My children are being taught times tables by rote, this takes up a large amount of their school time, as does producing joined up handwriting and correct grammar. Can someone please explain how this is going to give them an advantage when they eventually enter a labour market where automation of jobs is rife and no one handwrites anything other than short notes?

If you have ever negotiated a deal then the ability to understand the numbers involved in your own head is vital.

This is equally true of buying a car vs leasing it as dealing with a more complex business negotiation.

Can you imagine your children reaching adulthood and not being able to write in cursive script?

If you have ever negotiated a deal then the ability to understand the numbers involved in your own head is vital.

This is equally true of buying a car vs leasing it as dealing with a more complex business negotiation.

Learning times tables by rote is not synonymous with being able to do sums in your head. Working them out in your head each time until they sink in is arguably better because you practice the techniques you use for calculating the things you don't learn by rote.

Learning times tables by rote is not synonymous with being able to do sums in your head. Working them out in your head each time until they sink in is arguably better because you practice the techniques you use for calculating the things you don't learn by rote.

If I'm work things out in my head I'll chunk them down till they fit into my memorised 20x20 tables. Then add the chunks to get the answer. I literally will do this every single day of my working life as it's way faster than a calculator, assuming I have one with me.

It's not just about learning styles, it's also about respect for the teacher and the world at large. Both seem to be in short supply.

I'd also add it's about expectations and hopes and dreams for the future, also in short supply in some cases, (especially the classic 'working class white boy?'

It's also about the home environment and parental support, which can't be underestimated.

Well, yes.

And if you are a teacher I reccommend poker as equally useful in terms of adding confidence and understanding of the world to Kung Fu.

Kung Fu will teach physical confidence and the ability to fight if you have to. This takes the skill out of the hands of just the bullies.

Poker is all about numbers, fractions, probabilities and the mental game of understanding about what happens when somebody is trying to mentally bully you.

If you have an up and down straingt draw with an outside chance of a flush on the turn how many outs do you have as a percentage chance of it happening and is that worth the investment of the money that the other guy's bet requires you to equal? If not then why is he betting that much?

Edited by Tim Grindley