Assembly of God Church, Copper Street

On Copper Street their is a derelict church but looks more like a warehouse, what was it a normal church or a Americanised church. I sure I read somewhere that it was mostly a Afro congregation that went to this church or did you even attend the church when it was open?

There used to be a lot of Italians living in the area in the 1930/40s and maybe earlier and later who probably used the church.

It was a Pentecostal church; in the 1970s their evangelists used to go door-to-door trying to get people to join the congregation.

Is this it?...

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;c02607&pos=2&action=zoom

I work near there and often wonder about the history of all the empty buildings.

Yes this is the church, Iv seen a 28 Days Later report dated 2013 , the report says the church was St Jude's later sold in 1980 and then became the Assembly of God closing its doors in 1999. Congregation wise perhaps I'm mixing up with the still open church across the road I think its called Lighter Life Christian Church, the strange thing is opposite that is a chapel that's now been restored after years of dereliction and a fire. No idea of that chapel's name but was later used as a works. Yes your right their is quite a few derelict buildings in that area shame because many have historic links to the cities industrial past.

---------- Post added 30-07-2015 at 21:29 ----------

It was a Pentecostal church; in the 1970s their evangelists used to go door-to-door trying to get people to join the congregation.

Thanks for the link , did the Pentecostal church leave Sheffield after the closer of their church in 1999 or simply moved to some else in the city IV never heard of before until now?

In the 1960s I worked at H.H. Swann, saw manufacturers which was slightly lower down Copper Street on the opposite side of the road.

The firm was housed in converted housing which is now demolished.

...Thanks for the link , did the Pentecostal church leave Sheffield after the closer of their church in 1999 or simply moved to some else in the city IV never heard of before until now?
There is still the Central Elim Pentecostal Church on Lee Croft (just off Campo Lane) and apparently other Elim churches locally. The Elim Pentecostal Church is a UK-based division of the worldwide Pentecostal movement.

yes it was a church their was hole down stairs full of water it look like a little swimming pool where people could be baptised and be come a born again chirstian the vicar was wfrom wales

Theres been a bit of work on it recently, but there were fire engines and a crane there a couple of days ago and it now looks like a large section of the roof has been destroyed :(

Mr Cocker who used to stand on Far Gate with his banner telling us that the end of the World was Ni ,had a factory on Copper Street ,I worked on it when it was built .

St Judes Pentecostal church was on Cupola which runs parallel with Copper Street, it was built in 1858 and demolished in 1938. The building in question on Copper Street is St Judes church school ,most of the kids from Moorfields and Scotland Street use to go here and it was our local Sunday school. It has been stood empty for a few years well not quite empty, it's had its share of squatters and is full of graffiti and rubbish. The back door to this church school is in Cupola.

Copper Street Pentecostal church was a thriving church that use to have 2 morning services because the building was too small for the congregation. Our night service was at Carver Street Methoridist church ( walk about pub ) we were looking for a bigger building,  our pastor came across the church, across the road that had been a warehouses building for William brothers for many years. We moved in May 1999 our church was called Ebenezer. When pastor Mercy retired we got anew pastor Chris Thomas , then  Dave Jones was temporary pastor,  and 11 years ago pastor Jim Master is now our currant pastor, the church then we became city life Christian church and now we are Citylife international church. We are still going strong  but not many off the copper street congregation is still attended this church.