Cost of British holidays

It's just like booking anywhere else tbh, very easy to use.

Having spent an afternoon looking on the site, I'm afraid it's probably not for me. Fine if you want to sleep on someone's sofa, or are flexible about where it is situated, but we do have specific needs eg can't walk so must be in town centre, can't climb steep stairs, self catering and accepts pets. I can't find a single thing in Whitby that's much cheaper than a regular booking.

Of the two places Alchresearch kindly suggested, one was too far away and the other didn't take pets. Maybe I haven't got the hang of the 'criteria' button, or maybe Whitby is simply too expensive for me. I'll have to try somewhere else.

Yep we did that, queued simply because of the reputation, never again, you're quite correct it was rubbish value for money.

We've eaten inside the cafe ( not a restaurant ) and the service is so fast food, ' get em in and get em out) . As soon as they think you have finished they slap the bill on your table even if you haven't asked for it. Arrogant staff and average food, there are much better quality fish and chips in Whitby.

Having spent an afternoon looking on the site, I'm afraid it's probably not for me. Fine if you want to sleep on someone's sofa, or are flexible about where it is situated, but we do have specific needs eg can't walk so must be in town centre, can't climb steep stairs, self catering and accepts pets. I can't find a single thing in Whitby that's much cheaper than a regular booking.

Of the two places Alchresearch kindly suggested, one was too far away and the other didn't take pets. Maybe I haven't got the hang of the 'criteria' button, or maybe Whitby is simply too expensive for me. I'll have to try somewhere else.

Whitby is too expensive for me - i have similar pet criteria etc and i can't find anything worth the money (to me anyway). Been that way for years. York is similar.

The Lake district used to be the same,but thats getting more value imo.

For your first sentence I would believe it and its a lovely destination which I would recommend to others.

As for your second sentence I would query what exactly is deemed "value for money". Yes prices may be higher, but there is a very obvious reason for that. Salary and overheads.

Minimum wage level in Slovenia is reported to be 4.84 euros (approx £4.25) per hour. National minimum wage level for the majority in the uk is £7.83 per hour. That's a difference per hour of 84% higher.

https://www.eurofound.europa.eu/sites/default/files/ef_publication/field_ef_document/ef18005en.pdf

Not really like for like circumstances.

If we can just admit that the bottom line bargain price is all we look for and really all we care about that's fine.

However, I do find it quite hypocritical when plenty of posters on this forum bang on about poor downtrodden workers on pitiful wages on one hand, but then moan and complain about Rip Off Britain on the other hand.

Cant have it both ways.

I actually do not mind spending money on a holiday. In fact, we are spending quite a bit. It is just that you do not get as much for your money compared to outside the UK. I know this means spending my money outside the UK economy, but if they can't be competitive, then I spend my money elsewhere.

Had a great time in Blackpool. Hotel by the sea was 79 £ per night for two persons.

If you are considering Slovenia, be sure to check out Bled and Bohinj. I have been there several times, it's simply amazing.

https://travelwithkat.com/top-ten-reasons-to-visit-lake-bled-and-lake-bohinj-in-slovenia/

We are spending a few days on Lake Bled :cool:

On a sofa? I've no idea how you worked that out.

I'm off to Seville this weekend, we have a villa with 4 bedrooms, sleeping for 6 adults and a cot for a child, it has a pool, a bbq, air conditioning, the owner will pick 4 of us from the airport, and it's a 15 minute walk into Seville...

Last weekend I stayed in Snowdownia, 5 minutes from the start of one of the paths up Snowden, in a cottage outside any village, very pleasant, 2 bedrooms, 4 adults.

I don't have pets, so I've never looked at that, might be a problem, I can imagine that many owners don't want them or the potential extra cleaning.

It's not always a lot cheaper of course, I've never looked at Whitby, but I imagine that town centre locations in the popular holiday time will be charging the full market rate, why wouldn't they.

On a sofa? I've no idea how you worked that out.

I'm off to Seville this weekend, we have a villa with 4 bedrooms, sleeping for 6 adults and a cot for a child, it has a pool, a bbq, air conditioning, the owner will pick 4 of us from the airport, and it's a 15 minute walk into Seville...

Last weekend I stayed in Snowdownia, 5 minutes from the start of one of the paths up Snowden, in a cottage outside any village, very pleasant, 2 bedrooms, 4 adults.

I don't have pets, so I've never looked at that, might be a problem, I can imagine that many owners don't want them or the potential extra cleaning.

It's not always a lot cheaper of course, I've never looked at Whitby, but I imagine that town centre locations in the popular holiday time will be charging the full market rate, why wouldn't they.

Yep, saw one on airBnb offering a sofa space for £15 - nothing wrong with that if it suits both parties, why not? Just wouldn't suit me, hubby Jand the dog.

A relative does airbnb in his flat in Australia. I think it's a great idea.

Just hasn't solved my Whitby problem.

Whitby is a tad awkward in so much there arent much in the way of the cheaper chains there like travelodge or premier inn.

Probably much nicer than a travellodge though, with kitchen facilities and private entrances and so on.

AirBNB's site can be a bit tricky to navigate. But once you've got used to where the filters are, its pretty good. Turn on the map to view the properties and you can see which are on the hill of Whitby, or on the waterfront.

I found 40 entire properties which allow pets in Whitby, starting from £50 a night.

A few of them are part of this group:

https://www.yorkshireholidaycottages.co.uk/

So it might be worth ringing them direct and let them do the search for you.