How do Sheffield road planners get it so wrong?

The traffic system in Sheffield was designed by a demented monkey on acid

Boiled in acid more like. They then cut it open, threw its entrails on the floor and copied the pattern.

I agree with you 100%. Took me nearly 40mins from Broomhill to Bramall Lane today. About a mile.

That said, I would rather sit in the ridiculous traffic than catch the bus.

Your contribution to the traffic jam is noted.

Guest sibon
I agree with you 100%. Took me nearly 40mins from Broomhill to Bramall Lane today. About a mile.

That said, I would rather sit in the ridiculous traffic than catch the bus.

It took me just 12 minutes from Totley to John Street this morning.

You need a better route:)

I know all towns and cities have their fair share of road planning blunders, but for such a small sparsely populated town like Sheffield it is disproportionately affected with terrible road junctions and appalling roundabouts. Park Square roundabout however is a very good piece of road design.

When you have a council that is so openly Anti Car , what else do you expect.

Whilst there are always mistake, town planning is a massive undertaking with countless restrictions and results in a heap of compromises. Even building a city from scratch you'll get some sections that just don't work.

Every junction's activity will have knock on effects to the flow of traffic in other areas, which then has knock on effects elsewhere.

I know there will always be people who say "just do this, it's simple" etc. but I can guarantee they won't understand town planning in the slightest.

If you think you can do better - apply to the council for a job & see how difficult it is! :)

I'm sure its a difficult job but so what, plenty of jobs are!

All i know is having lived in 3 major cities over last 15 years, Sheffield is by far the worst in terms of road planning. The mind boggles as to why certain decisions have been made.

God forbid should the city become a jobs hub and we start seeing the number of people driving through that Leeds and Manchester have to deal with.

May as well stay in bed as you'll get absolutely nowhere.

I'm sure its a difficult job but so what, plenty of jobs are!

All i know is having lived in 3 major cities over last 15 years, Sheffield is by far the worst in terms of road planning. The mind boggles as to why certain decisions have been made.

God forbid should the city become a jobs hub and we start seeing the number of people driving through that Leeds and Manchester have to deal with.

May as well stay in bed as you'll get absolutely nowhere.

Find it very hard to disagree with this but they have a master plan :hihi:

Leppings lane ,Halifax rd junctions in every direction apserloutly mind blowing . A perfect example of planners ineptitude.

Your contribution to the traffic jam is noted.

We all have to contribute because public transport simply isn't suitable in many cases.

Leppings lane ,Halifax rd junctions in every direction apserloutly mind blowing . A perfect example of planners ineptitude.

That area worked totally fine with the roundabout there. A perfect example of messing with something for the sake of it and making it a whole lot worse.

We all have to contribute because public transport simply isn't suitable in many cases.

Absolutely.

To maintain the functionality of our cities and freedom of choice, a travel system has to be developed that maximises both. To maintain this and to avoid gridlock a system needs to be created which attracts as many car users as possible from their cars.

In this case a 10 minute cycle, a 30 minute walk or a direct and faster bus service might be sufficient to attract some from their cars and thus reduce the traffic jam and journey times for all. If not then there are consequences.

That area worked totally fine with the roundabout there. A perfect example of messing with something for the sake of it and making it a whole lot worse.

It works perfectly fine now.

YES, sometimes there are queues. So what? Its called traffic. It existed on that road before and will continue to exist.

Can we stop pretending that heavy congestion around Leppings Line et al are some kind of new phenomena.

All these people banging on about how "bad" roads in Sheffield are need get out of the city a bit more more. Try Leeds, Birmingham or Bristol if you want to see real traffic problems.

Sheffield doesn't even get near the top 10 worst cities for congestion. Even little piddlin' Hull and Luton have made the list over us.

The traffic lights have made the congestion worse at off peak times and no better at peak times (arguably also worse in fact).

---------- Post added 20-09-2017 at 22:39 ----------

Absolutely.

To maintain the functionality of our cities and freedom of choice, a travel system has to be developed that maximises both. To maintain this and to avoid gridlock a system needs to be created which attracts as many car users as possible from their cars.

In this case a 10 minute cycle, a 30 minute walk or a direct and faster bus service might be sufficient to attract some from their cars and thus reduce the traffic jam and journey times for all. If not then there are consequences.

Unfortunately the council only have a stick, they can't or won't use the carrot.

So they punish car drivers, but they provide no viable alternative.