Care homes in sheffield

Would like an update on care homes please. Could anyone recommend a dementia/care home of which they have experience, either by themselves or relatives. It's a minefield out there, looked on CQC etc but there is no better recommendation than someone who has personally experienced it.

Frightened of picking the wrong place!

Try Wood Hill House/Grange on Grimesthorpe Road.

Choose a few care homes and visit unannounced.

Any home worth it's salt will welcome you in at any time of the day.

Try to call in at mealtimes and watch how the care staff interact with the residents.

As has been state before - be aware of any unpleasant smells - they may be a sign of poor care.

Good luck !

Hi Chocki

My brother and I had this awful situation when both my mum and dad were diagnosed with dementia at the same time. Finding a care home to place them in together (in a double room) was almost impossible.

We made a huge mistake with the first home on Warminster Road. Having WRONGLY made an appointment to view the home we made our decision based on the fact that a double room was available, that the building was new, modern and clean and the friendliness of the staff.

Within two/three months we realised the appearance of the home was hiding a multitude of care issues, to the extent that my mother broke her hip due to lack of supervision and my father (who needed assistance to walk) was left to his own devices and subsequently had a fall leading to a bleed on his brain. These are just two of many different issues I could mention.

Following these incidents, we moved them both (again together but in separate rooms) to Ascot Lodge Care Home on Newlands Road, where the difference in care was truly astounding. I can't praise enough the sheer dedication and kindness from the care staff to the residents.

Sadly, we lost dad nearly three years ago but mum still resides there and is extremely happy and loves the staff (and they her). The home is clean, the residents are clean and well groomed at all times. I am extremely happy and confident to leave my mum in the staff's caring hands.

There is an open door policy enabling visits at any time day or night and the manager or home supervisor are always available to speak to, should you have any problems which in my experience have been resolved quickly.

If I can give you one word of advice, ALWAYS ALWAYS visit the care home unannounced and if you possibly can speak to any visitors that may be there at the time. You will find they will always give you honest feedback (at least I always do).

I hope this helps with your search and good luck.

I second the opinion for Woodhill House on Grimesthorpe Road. My 92 year old auntie was in there for several weeks recently and enjoyed every minute! The place is immaculate (more like a hotel) and the rooms are well designed and spacious. Every member of staff I came across had a lovely smile on their face and each one was always happy to help with anything. I'd recommend it anytime!

I did a drop by visit to one before my dad went in.

All looked good but turned out to be a nightmare.

He died of neglect, the autopsy report was shocking and all his care plans went missing.

I was in the process of looking for another when he died.

I do know a few nice ones I have worked in depending on the area you are looking in

I did a drop by visit to one before my dad went in.

All looked good but turned out to be a nightmare.

He died of neglect, the autopsy report was shocking and all his care plans went missing.

I was in the process of looking for another when he died.

I do know a few nice ones I have worked in depending on the area you are looking in

Sorry for your loss trackrunner ? Which are the ones you would recommend

Sorry for your loss trackrunner Which are the ones you would recommend

Woodland View at lightwood Lane

Grenoside Grange on Saltbox Lane

Chatsworth Grange at Hollybank Road

Holmwood on Warminster Road

All nice places

Another thing which hasn't been mentioned so far is that there is a big difference in the care levels offered by different units and therefore some units may be more suitable for your relative based on his/her assessment and needs.

For instance, the unit at which one of my family works is twice the price of most of the other units that appear to be similar in the area but only takes patients assessed by other units as needing the highest level of care and management for mental health or dementia issues, and they have at least 2 registered mental health nurses available round the clock on site.

This means that it's really important that you're looking at units that can offer the levels of care which are needed so that you're comparing apples with apples. What one person thinks is a really nice place is not relevant if they don't offer the sort of care that your relative needs.