How many rivers in Sheffield?

There are also plans to open up/clear up more of the Sheaf further down behind Sidney & Sylvester Streets as part of individual private developments. I think the council are trying to encourage it.

There's already a development behind the Sidney Street car park, opening up more of the river as a small park, also allowing a bit of flood defence. I'm pretty sure it's the Porter Brook there though, not the Sheaf.

There's already a development behind the Sidney Street car park, opening up more of the river as a small park, also allowing a bit of flood defence. I'm pretty sure it's the Porter Brook there though, not the Sheaf.

Oops! Yes, the Porter. My bad.

Almost all classic cities are built either on a river or directly on the coast and often formed where rivers met.

Barcelona: built on the confluence of the Besos and El Llobregat

Athens: correct, although very close to the coast

Johannesburg: Built between several rivers, Kliprivier/Natalspruit and so on.

Los Angeles: is named after the river it was originally built on, the Los Angeles. Also Santa Ana and San Gabriel rivers and of course on the coast.

Jerusalem: formed as a religious site and is a rare exception. Although they did recently find a huge underground river :)

Lisbon: On the coast and one of Portugals most famous rivers: The Tagus!

Istanbul: Bosporus, Istanbul literally formed as the place where you crossed it.

Mumbai: Built on a Peninsula with a river running right through the middle and to the North (can't find name, sorry)

San Francisco: Built around San Francisco Bay, famous harbour city

Auckland: Built on a slip of land with ocean on both sides

Mexico City: formed after communities on several local lakes expanded

Oslo: Built on the Akerselva and of course the Fjord it streams into

Venice: Always had a struggle for fresh water as it is built on salt marshes, but they developed a system of wells as early as the Roman times and it is of course a famous harbour city as well.

London: the Fleet River, now entirely 'lost' (culverted).

London: the Fleet River, now entirely 'lost' (culverted).

I don't think the Fleet was that relevant to the foundation of London - the original Roman city was built on the banks of the Thames where it could be bridged, with the Walbrook running through the settlement and providing fresh water.