Apprenticeships at Sheffield College

Can anyone recommend an Apprenticeship at Sheffield College ?. My Son will be sitting his GCSE's next May. He has no idea what he wants to do . Have been to both open Evenings this week and he still cannot find anything he's interested in. Has anyone got experience of what it's like to study at Granville Rd site ? ..Thanks

A quick thought! He really needs to choose his own course and NOT the college he would prefer.

I would suggest he chooses something that relates to his most preferred/liked subject at school.

If he has no idea what he wants do, would he consider the army, navy of air force for a few years ? He might get career training with them !

He really needs to have a good hard think about what he wouldlike as a career. Going into an apprenticeship blind will be a waste of his and the College's time

I have stopped taking on apprentices, too expensive for a start, they actually get paid more than they earn then most quiit after a few weeks. Resulting in me getting nowhere and seriously out of pocket!

Sounds like he needs to talk to the Sheffield Futures link person for his school. They have computer programmes that help young people find careers and courses to match their strengths and interests, I believe.

Most deadlines for applications are the end of January, I think, so he's got a few weeks left to decide. Has he got mocks coming up soon at school? If so, his results from those will help him decide.

For apprenticeships it's best to find the employer first. Apprentices HAVE to be employed (and paid) for at least 30 hours a week so it is no good finding a college course first. Colleges will say that you meet their standards / criteria for doing an apprenticeship but they can't make someone an apprentice, apart from the few they employ themselves.

There is a lot of useful info re career options at this website https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/Pages/Home.aspx

You can use this link to browse through the apprenticeships on offer

https://www.gov.uk/apply-apprenticeship

The range of apprenticeships on offer is vast and they go from Level 2 (GCSE level) to degree level. From hairdressing to Engineering to Administration to Finance to Care Work to vehicle manufacturing / maintenance to the traditional 'trades' such as plumbing

If your son is a 'hands on' type of person he might want to go to one of the open days that AMRC Training centre put on to show the range of apprenticeship training they offer - see http://www.amrctraining.co.uk/about

Good luck to your son in his exams and future