Earthquake - Sheffield... and the rest of the UK 00:58 27 Feb

Eh? What's global warming got to do with earthquakes?

Maybe more than you think!!

Consider this: During the last ice age, some 18,000 years ago, northern Europe was covered in several kilometres of ice which weighed billions of tons and pressed the earth's crust down towards the mantle. As the earth warmed up and the ice melted the sea levels rose and so did Europe's land mass now free of the pressure of all that weight. This process continues today and Scotland is getting higher while London gets lower - it's sinking!

Forget the arguments about the causes of global warming, even if it is a cyclical phenomena, the earth is warming up and ice sheets are melting especially in the northern hemisphere. The earthquake's epicentre was on an old faultline and the pressure could have been building up for decades or even centuries resulting in the release which caused the earthquake the other morning.

This has got nothing to do with whether or not we are burning fossil fuels at an alarming rate - it's just the way of the world but as the earth continues to warm up and ice flows melt we can expect similar events in years or decades to come.

Don't lose sleep over it:D

What I want to know is:

Is God trying to give me an examination in shed erection. Since I put it up at the beginning of the week He has tried to shake it down, when that didn't work He is now trying to drench it AND blow it down.

Since it's still standing, do I get my certificate now, God? Or do you have to try pestilience and locusts and the rest of it before my shed makes the grade?

Either that or it's the Big Bad Wolf who thinks there are Three Little Pigs* inside :D

* I apologise for any offended sensibilities from my mention of 3 little pigs. I'm obviously a raging nazi to mention that nursery rhyme come valuable educational fable about proper preperation and making a good job of things. But that's another can of worms.

thought id post an update ..

Aftershocks

DATE ORIGIN TIME LATITUDE LONGITUDE DEPTH MAGNITUDE

27 Feb 2008 02:46 06.4s 53.360 ° N 0.369 ° W 10 km 1.8 ML

27 Feb 2008 09:03 05.0s 53.360 ° N 0.307 ° W 23 km 1.8 ML

27 Feb 2008 16:54 23.6s 53.361 ° N 0.372 ° W 18.6 km 2.2 ML

i wonder .. around 5pm i did think a van door had slammed shut outside,but didn't think much of it at the time :rolleyes:;)

JJ..

3 days on and still no sign of pakistan setting up an earthquake appeal for britain!!!!

Next time they have an earthquake.....f**k em :roll:

3 days on and still no sign of pakistan setting up an earthquake appeal for britain!!!!

Next time they have an earthquake.....f**k em :roll:

Well done, I'll take your advice in your signature. :hihi:

I felt it too, ran outside cos it thought something had hit the building.

Wow global warming woohoo, let the earthquakes begin, if this becomes a common occurance I can see Englands Legoland falling down sooner or later.

Yeah because that is how hills were made, from global warming, not techtonic plates rubbing aganist each other!

that was terrifying.

any news? googled it and the news result i got was from 2002

because a few minutes after the earthquake then Google will have it right on its sponsored pages or be on the top of the hit list when "Earthquake+Sheffield" were entered into the search bar.

What I want to know is:

Is God trying to give me an examination in shed erection. Since I put it up at the beginning of the week He has tried to shake it down, when that didn't work He is now trying to drench it AND blow it down.

Since it's still standing, do I get my certificate now, God? Or do you have to try pestilience and locusts and the rest of it before my shed makes the grade?

Either that or it's the Big Bad Wolf who thinks there are Three Little Pigs* inside :D

* I apologise for any offended sensibilities from my mention of 3 little pigs. I'm obviously a raging nazi to mention that nursery rhyme come valuable educational fable about proper preperation and making a good job of things. But that's another can of worms.

:shocked: how dare you :!::x :x

that is so utterly racist against worms!:P:razz::hihi: